Starting small shadowbox frames WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Should be self explanatory so far, will explain if needed as I get further into it.

IMG_1340.jpeg
attachment.php

IMG_1341.jpeg
attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_1342.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

IMG_1344.jpeg

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, that last picture looks like you stickered the boards after planing and clamped them flat. How long do you leave them like that?

Roy G

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do you not need a sticker beneath the bottom to allow for airflow?

Fishbucket

Joe
Senior User
Do you have a small fence on the other side while resawing?
I don’t see a guide line. Or just rely on the feather board for cutting strait?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The standard fence that came with the saw. That face of the board is jointed and the edge on bottom is jointed to that face. The other two sides don't matter at this point. If you look close you can see a pencil mark X on top of the board. That lets me know that edge is not jointed (not square to the jointed face).

The cut edge is planed next then the final width is cut after it sits a while.

Last edited:

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Great Mike, I need one with a mirror to show both sides of a medal and while you're at maybe some LEDs for illumination. lol
Happy holidays, Ed

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What size Ed?

first one I ever made was for my uncle to present to Tuscaloosa Police dept.
It held the chief's badge for every chief since 1870. Plus a few other memorabilia.

Turned out to be 36 x 48 inches lined with blue velvet.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
First time I read this I thought you made it in 1870 and thought you have aged really slowly. LOL!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Uhh, no. The first police chief was replaced in 1878 and I built the frame in 1978. 100 years of police in Tuscaloosa.

i think before that they had a sheriff for the county and no city police.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Uhhhh Mike.

Beautiful wood so far.

Do you have plans that we can see for building the shadow box? I'm thinking for small shadow boxes (circa 24" x 24") that I would use wood thicknessed to somewhere between 5/16th and 1/2". Yours seems to be 5/4".

Also do you have pics of previous shadow boxes?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My plans are in my head, only kind I ever use.

This lumber is 4/4 and will finish very slightly less, maybe 7/8-15/16.

There will be a 3/4 x 1/2 rabbet where 2 pieces of 3/8 plywood will recess. Two pieces because one will be split into a french cleat for hanging the frame on the wall.

The outside flat will be coved and the front edge will have 45° bevels and possibly a recess for aluminum or leather insert.

Then inside will be a 1/8 wide x 1/4 inch deep dado to hold glass.

The boxes will be about 6 x 35 and 6 x 45, each 3 inches deep and holding a floating loom reed, one modern stainless and one antique bamboo.

The reeds will be mounted on #6 x 2 inch stainless steel screws with clear monofilament.

Quick photoshop sketch...

cove.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
OK, Bruce.

Don't know if you can see it but I added a sketch of what I'm thinking for the profile.

Also What I think is more typical for a simple shadowbox.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really envy you Mike. With my self diagnosed ADHD I have to see immediate result or I loose interest. The thought of spending a day in the shop sizing and jointing so at the end of the day the wood moved from one pile to another drives me insane.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I spent a year going to a psychologist to find out I have ADHD with a very high IQ and that it’s alright to be that way. You don’t know how many things I have designed, invented, discovered only to forget or be distracted by some other discovery.

That’s probably why I never did real furniture, too many parts and pieces to keep up with. And turning is almost instant gratification so I gravitate to that.

oh, just got my first China patent today. Yay!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
oh, just got my first China patent today. Yay!

Interesting background and interests. Can you tell us the subject of the patent and why it was issued in China instead of the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS