Starting a Deer Trophy Mount Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I have a co-worker who has asked me to make a mount base for a deer head he wants to display on his wall. I figured there's a chance that there are one or two hunters out there who might be able to help me.

This guy brought me a paper pattern (to size) of the mount-base he wants. It is a simply oval about 2 1/2' x 1 1/2'.

I have already looked up links to shop built router oval-jigs. This looks pretty straight forward.

I asked him about wood and he said 3/4" walnut would be fine with a routed edge profile. He is thinking to have a simple oil finish. Apparently the mounting nuts on the prepared trophy head are in a vertical line, so I should be able to keep them on a continuous board.

Does anyone have any suggestions or things to look out for as I begin this project?

While the project is simple, I have never dealt with having something like this mounted to one of my projects. I also do not want the finish to adversely impact the trophy head.

Thanks for any suggestions!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another simple option for cutting the oval is on a band saw or even a scroll saw. I have used both. I then use my bench sander to smooth any rough spots before I router the finish edge.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Marvin, I've made a few of these plaques. Although I had nothing to do with mounting the heads, it seems to me that the taxidermist used some special mounting hardware.
Also, ellipse jigs are pretty easy to make, once you've made one. I made a bunch for Christmas presents once (do nuthin' toys) and I suggest you eyeball the centers, make your slots, THEN cut the sides square to the slots. They will work with uneven sides, but are harder to center, as you can imagine. I haven't checked yet, but I think your dimensions are doable, but if I were going to make just one plaque, I'd just make it the way Scott suggest.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Marvin,

Good advice from Scott and Joe. Does your friend want a true oval or an ellipse?

Marvin-Oval.jpg

Marvin-Ellipse.jpg

Either one can be made easily. You might consider making a template from 1/2" or 3/4" MDF including the mounting hole locations on the x/y axes marked on the template and drilled. The template is easily faired with sandpaper until you're satisfied with it. Then use a flush trim bearing router bit to transfer that shape to your rough cut walnut panel from the bandsaw.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Jeff,

I guess it is an ellipse. I will likely us the pin and string method and then hardboard template and flush trim router bit to finish it up.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
The deer head usually has a plywood back on the form... Two screws are inserted from the back of the plaque into the form... No big deal!! :gar-Bi

I have an old plaque laying around but live in Greensboro. If you are coming this way I would be happy to let you use it for a template

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS