started whistles, but daughter had other plans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am finally starting to catch on how to make these things...

5whistles.JPG

The top 2 are inspired by medieval artifacts. Still some fine tuning and finishing to be done, but they play scales (and songs in the right hands). The wide bore limits the range a bit (upper register is tough) but gives them volume. The lower 3 tubes (they are hollow and the bores are oiled) are going to be penny whistles that I had planned to start cutting holes for this weekend, but...

If you are wondering why this is in general instead of woodturning, it is because of the interruption, which required turning, scrolling and carving (please don't throw me in the briar patch :rolf:). My daughter wanted a "key blade" from the Kindom Hearts game. It's a skeleton key that is used as a sword.
bigkey.JPG

It's over 3' long. It's pine. I had her draw it on graph paper and I scaled it up. She will paint it metallic silver.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Great looking whistles and key there.You done good with daughter's project,Them kids have a lot of pull when they want something.Tony

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Very cool Andy, both projects! How do you figure out and fine tune the intonation of the whistles?

Travis

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Andy!:eusa_danc

That key will be treasured for a long time, I betcha. May even become a decorative wall hanging in later years. One thing about having kiddies around. There always seems to be a neverending project list!

Looks like you have the whistle thing nailed down well. (BTW. This is Scottish week and it would be cool to hear an audio demo of the whistle collection.:wsmile:)

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very cool Andy, both projects! How do you figure out and fine tune the intonation of the whistles?

Travis

The same way the medieval guys did - using the web. :rotflm:
Using bore and wall diameter, this page does placements for 6 hole flutes:
http://www.cwo.com/~ph_kosel/flutomat.html
and there is another one you can get to from it that does 8 hole.

Those are close but not exact unless you are really lucky. So you make the edge cut in where the sound comes from and measure from there to know how short to cut the tube. Add a little fudge and cut. Then you blow to get the "bell tone" which is the note with no tone holes (or all holes covered). Hopefully it will be a little flat (or again, if you are really lucky, dead on). If it is sharp, you either toss it or you make it in a higher key using a fresh set of settings.

You use a chromatic tuner to check. If you have a good mic, you can use something like this:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/503218
on a computer. Just be sure to test against a known good note source to be sure it is dead on.

You shorten the tube slowly, using finer tools as you get close. Then you mark the holes and starting with the one closest to the end, you drill slightly smaller than the recommended size and test it. Again, you want them slightly flat because making them larger makes them sharper. A lot of players prefer elliptical holes, so tuning can be done by carving on the hole to elongate it. Then move on to the next one. You have to start at the end because the other holes are left open to tune each one.

The cardinal rule is always be flat with your estimates, unless you have a wood stretcher or hole mover handy... :rolf:
But only slightly; you don't want holes that get so big they can't be easily covered.

EDIT - Also, I have this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Instrument-Design-Practical-Information/dp/1884365086
With that, some good calipers, a calculator and a pot of coffee, you can figure out how to get pretty much any note out of any instrument.

YET ANOTHER EDIT - I also have this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Amateur-Wind-Instrument-Maker/dp/0870233122
which has a few specific period instruments and a lot of information on how to do this in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS