Started turning Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey all
I am voyageing into unfamilar terrritory.
A buddy of mine has a lathe in the back of his shop.
Collecting dust, so we dusted it off and decided to teach ourselves.
The first bowl came out oK, but I was wondering what the proper technique is remove the insides of the bowl.
I am glueing up blanks from short (6") pieces of oak, walnut and maple into a square block.
Measuring 6" tall by 10" square.
We then trace out a circle and take it to the bandsaw to trim off as much as we can before mounting it on the lathe.
But to gouge out the insides, and of course it being all end grain, is rough to say the least.
Is there an easier way.
I mean maybe using a paddle bit on a drill press to remove material and then cleaning it up and shaping it on the lathe.
Am I on the right track here?????

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Most bowls are turned in board grain orientation with the face grain being the area hollowed out. End grain hollowing is a little more difficult but can be done well with a scraper or a Termite http://www.oneway.on.ca/tools/termite.htm
Big Mike is the master of end grain box turning, and I am sure that he has some secrets he could share along these lines.
You might try making your turning blanks in board grain orientation (making sure to orient the grain the same way) for a more pleasant experience, at least until you get a better feel for the tools.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors