started a spoon karving knife today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That was almost painful to watch, he didn't seem to know what he wanted or how to get there. But in the end the tool seems to be fairly effective even in a dull state.

Steel is much easier to form when you have a thorough heat well beyond the point of impact. The heat will draw into the area being hammered and keep malleable for a little longer. Don't keep hammering after the steel is cold, that is what causes micro-fractures that will shorten the life of the tool or be a danger to the user.

That grinder really should be bolted down or at least clamped to the table.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I have this one formed and it is not a pretty thing to look at just now but hopefully this weekend I can clean it up, harden , clean, temper clean and find a handle. after work on Saturday.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have this one formed and it is not a pretty thing to look at just now but hopefully this weekend I can clean it up, harden , clean, temper clean and find a handle. after work on Saturday.
You made three or more of them didn't you?:cool:

I will be glad when you send me mine!:rotflm:

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
20140801_183716.jpg20140801_183858.jpg20140801_183655.jpgThis is what I have so far.Forging compleated, tomorrow I am going to try hardening and tempering.

Attachments

• 20140801_183721.jpg
    20140801_183721.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 158

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mark,
That looks really good!
It seems like you could get a lot of leverage out of it.

I wonder if you would want different radii for different bowls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS