Stanley Sweetheart block plane

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
The Stanley Sweetheart number 9 1/2 hand plane is a very good plane for both the power tool woodworker and the handtool woodworker.

Okay, so I realize that this is not the hand tool forum. But this block plane is marketed more towards somebody who does not normally have or use hand planes.

I do have hand planes, quite a few of them. But that’s another matter and I’m thinking about seeking counseling!

In any case, another NCWW forum member had posted about their Stanley sweetheart plane. I have been considering buying one for some time. And that forum conversation motivated me to give one a try. I did not have a standard bedding angle block plane. All of mine were low angle block planes. So, I decided to give the Stanley number 9 1/2 plane a try.

Firstly, I think the price for this plane is bordering on a steal. It’s at least a very reasonable price for the quality level you get. While this isn’t a status hand plane that you’ll want to display on your mantle, it is an extremely high-quality user plane that will perform exceptionally well in your shop.

The overall quality of the tool is very good and approaching excellent. Fine woodworking magazine did a review of several block planes and rated this one to be excellent. The machining and fit is very good anywhere that it’s important. There are some areas of cosmetic machining that are not as perfect but that does not affect the performance of the plane.

Next is the blade. It’s made of 1/8 inch A2 steel. Mine arrived extremely sharp. While I don’t consider that to be a major plus for me, I think anyone getting one of their first planes will appreciate receiving one that is sharp right out of the box. Areas of the blade that require perfect machining are very well done, and one area that does not require perfect machining does show some very minor milling marks that are purely cosmetic. Overall, I have no reservations and this is an extremely good blade.

Lastly, the FWW article does ding these planes for finish. In the case of mine, not so much the finishing of the metal, but more in the painted areas. Let’s just say that some areas of the paint could be better, and leave it at that. Also, as I already mentioned, there are some minor milling marks in area that don’t decrease the performance, but I suspect do decrease the cost.

So, after a couple of weeks of use, my opinion of this plane is that it is very good. I think it could be an excellent plane for both a brand new plane user as well as someone who already has some hand planes but wants a block plane to keep on their bench as a user plane.

Finally, this plane does not have a large learning curve. But you would want to read the instructions and possibly read up on the Norris adjuster as well as the finer points of using a bevel up plane. There are some minor differences from your average bevel down Stanley bench hand plane.

So, anyone else using these new style Stanley Sweetheart hand planes?

The Stanley Sweetheart sure looks a lot like my Veritas low angle block plane!

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Roy, Clearly the primary difference is the price.

HD currently has the 9 1/2 for around $54.00 with free shipping.

The Veritas is $155.00 with an A2 blade, though personally, I would definitely spring for the PM-V11 blade if I were ordering the Veritas. Veritas does have a variety of blade options.

Performance wise, both planes are exceedingly close. Comparing the cosmetics. Veritas has a slight edge. Even this model of Veritas isn’t considered a true “premium” plane, you’ll find some imperfections in it.

Other than paint and some cosmetic machine marking, I think I’d be hard pressed to come up with a substantial difference...except price.

EDIT: I wasn’t planning on an in depth post, but curiosity got the best of me. Here’s my “Stan-itas” and my “Veri-ley” planes. I obviously didn’t run this version hard, but a Veritas blade appears to be a perfect fit in the Stanley. I also tried the cap/palm rest for kicks and it also fits.

Comparing the two blades.

The holes are aligned. The difference you see is camera and careless positioning by me.

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Very interesting. Thanks for posting. Always nice to see a hands-on review.... especially with a comparison.

I've always wondered about the quality of the new Stanley stuff. I have a Stanley spokeshave I bought new several years ago and have no complaints

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Hmmm. Maybe I'll buy a Veritas PM-V11 blade for my Stanley SH block. Then it really will be a "Stanlitas". It looks like the bedding angle is a little higher on the Stanly though.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jim, Without knowing exactly how familiar you are with these planes.

If you have the modern Stanley Sweetheart 60 1/2 plane, your bed should be a 12 degree low angle bed. The same as my low angle Veritas. My Stanley SW 9 1/2 has the 20 degree “standard” bed. The same blade is in both of the modern Stanley SW blocks so if the Veritas is a perfect fit in my 9 1/2, then I think you’re safe using it in your SW 60 1/2.

LN has discontinued their standard bed planes in favor of increased blade bevels in the low angle beds. Veritas and Stanley still have a standard bed but there is a legitimate argument that the standard line is unnecessary.

I intentionally chose the standard bed for working highly figured woods.

If I were recommending between the two, I would hands down suggest the SW 60 1/2 though it sells at a slightly higher price. I’m not sure why, as the planes are likely nearly identical. Perhaps the 60 1/2 sells better so they can ask more for it.

Any chance you could pull your blade and post some pictures of the bed?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Actually, I have both the Stanley 9-1/2 and the 60-1/2. I've had them both for a while and don't remember exactly when and why I bought both or in which order. I'll pull the blades, make a few measurements and post the results tomorrow or Tuesday.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Actually, I have both the Stanley 9-1/2 and the 60-1/2. I've had them both for a while and don't remember exactly when and why I bought both or in which order. I'll pull the blades, make a few measurements and post the results tomorrow or Tuesday.

Jim, That’s very interesting. Since you have more long term experience, I’d be curious about your perspective of these planes.

Here’s a shot of the Veritas bed next to the Stanley.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Here are my two Stanley SW block planes. The 9 1/2 above and the 60 1/2 below.

Both planes use the same A2 blade. It's 1-5/8" wide and few 1/1000's over 1/8" thick. The 9 1/2 bevel angle is 25 degrees with a 20 degree bed angle for a 45 degree cutting angle. For the 60 1/2 the bedding angle is 12 degrees for a 32 degree cutting angle. Both use the same Norris style adjuster. I haven't swapped parts around but it looks to me like pretty much all the parts could be swapped.

The castings were clean on my planes, the mouths adjusted smoothly, the soles were flat and I only had to touch up the blades before putting them to work. They both cut smoothly and are easy to adjust. I have Veritas and Lie-Nielsen planes in my collection but I like these Stanley block planes and see no reason really to spend the extra money for premium versions. These both are very good users in my opinion.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Does this Veritas have screws in the sides of the body near the front of the blade to adjust the blade to center of the mouth?

I was thinking about drilling and tapping my Stanley to add in the centering screws.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Does this Veritas have screws in the sides of the body near the front of the blade to adjust the blade to center of the mouth?

I was thinking about drilling and tapping my Stanley to add in the centering screws.

Mike, Yes, Veritas has the screws on almost all of these planes. I really like having those.

I was thinking the exact same thing and was going see what you thought about drilling and tapping the ductile iron.

EDIT: I meant to mention the raised boss that the Veritas set screws pass through.

The Stanley body is thicker than the Veritas. I didn’t measure that area, but visually the Stanley looks too be about as thick as the Veritas raised area. In other words, I don’t believe there are any issues with not having the boss area that Veritas has.

Last edited:

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the new Stanley low angle and a Lie Nielsen 60 1/2 rabbet plane which is a similar size etc. The LN cuts much better, holds an edge much longer etc. However, the cost was 2.5 times higher. However, for most purposes, the Stanley works fine. I also have the Stanley low angle Jack plane and again, I have no complaints.
I generally do not work with a lot of figured lumber.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have the new Stanley low angle and a Lie Nielsen 60 1/2 rabbet plane which is a similar size etc. The LN cuts much better, holds an edge much longer etc. However, the cost was 2.5 times higher. However, for most purposes, the Stanley works fine. I also have the Stanley low angle Jack plane and again, I have no complaints.
I generally do not work with a lot of figured lumber.

Would you say it's due to different blade mix, A2 vs PM-V11 vs O1, or something to do with the plane's design or manufacture? I think they should both be A2, but not all A2 is created the same of course.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have no clue. I am more of a power tool person and only use a hand tool when it is absolutely required.
The LN feels heavier, the finishes are smoother and feel better in your hand. It never skips or chatters when cutting. The Stanley chatters when going the wrong direction with the grain, especially as the blade dulls. It is difficult to tell when it is time to hone the LN plane as it always cuts great.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I have no clue. I am more of a power tool person and only use a hand tool when it is absolutely required.
The LN feels heavier, the finishes are smoother and feel better in your hand. It never skips or chatters when cutting. The Stanley chatters when going the wrong direction with the grain, especially as the blade dulls. It is difficult to tell when it is time to hone the LN plane as it always cuts great.

It might be a good thing to have someone check your Stanley.

Most any plane can struggle when planing against the grain with a dull blade.

An 1/8” blade should help resist chatter. Have you checked the bed for any issues and to make sure there’s no debris under the blade?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS