Stanley planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Hey gang I need advice, I have an opportunity to acquire a Stanley #1 and a Stanley #2. Can anyone give me advice on what I should pay for these? I think the guy knows what he has and they're in good shape. I don't want to overpay, but I do want to be fair. Thanks in advance.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
In mint condition the #1 sells for $1000-1200

#2 is $600-800

Deduct for rust, lost finish, wear, broken or missing parts.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I agree with Mike on the No.1.

I think you can do quite a bit better on a good condition No.2. I have seen a few No.2 in very good condition selling for $200-$300

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
**Update**
In an email he just said the "Y" adjusting lever is broken on the #1 and he will lower the price accordingly. Not sure replacement parts are available, may still go for it since its been on my list to own one.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
**Update**
In an email he just said the "Y" adjusting lever is broken on the #1 and he will lower the price accordingly. Not sure replacement parts are available, may still go for it since its been on my list to own one.

It would be worth buying if the price is 'adjusted' enough. Not really too difficult to repair/replace that part if you plan to use the plane.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Question one, are you a collector or a user. Question two what do you think the chances are you can find the replacement part you need for that plane. Just some food for thought.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I agree with Mike on the No.1.

I think you can do quite a bit better on a good condition No.2. I have seen a few No.2 in very good condition selling for $200-$300

I turned down a nice Stanley #2, type 12 a good while back. Guy was asking $275...got him down a little bit but I eventually passed. It was just too small for my hands and I would have wanted to use it if I bought it.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Question one, are you a collector or a user. Question two what do you think the chances are you can find the replacement part you need for that plane. Just some food for thought.

Kind of both, I get enjoyment from using vintage tools, but some are more about just owning, regardless of condition.

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Kind of both, I get enjoyment from using vintage tools, but some are more about just owning, regardless of condition.

If I was looking for ones to use I'd get the LN versions.....a #1 is $225 and the #2 is $275.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
It would be worth buying if the price is 'adjusted' enough. Not really too difficult to repair/replace that part if you plan to use the plane.

Mark, I ‘ve never pressed out that pin on a No.1 plane, personally, it’s a higher risk repair since there is some potential to snap an ear off and have a clunker on your hands. Now, if I already had a replacement frog in hand, I’d probably have all kinds of courage about knocking the pin out.

Ultimately, at the right price, a No.1 (even in parts) should retain a certain level of value.

For someone who just wants a user a No.1, it’s hard to beat a LN for the money.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I have a #1 Stanley Bailey type #8 (1899-1902) in perfect condition. I will take $1050.00
I have 2 #2's Type #7 (1893-1899). I will take $220.00 A #2C type #7 (1893-1899). Perfect condition. I will take $450.00

Have a couple of other #2's in the $190-210.00 area.

david Turner
North Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors