Stanley plane tote/knob screwdriver

Scott H

Scott
User
Does anyone know a screwdriver model number that fits the brass slotted nuts on Stanley planes well? Specifically #4-#7, I don't have #3 or smaller. I have occasionally had situations where the threads on the steel rod/base casting are corroded or frozen and I am always worried about damaging the brass with a screwdriver that is too small or fits too loosely trying to torque it free. I think I have cosmetically damaged at least one nut this way.

Woodcraft sells plane screwdrivers but the reviews say they don't fit Stanley. Lee Valley sells a plane screwdriver but it's only for cap irons.

Thanks in advance!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Grind it hollow, like a gunsmiths driver. That way the torque is applied to the root of the slot. I switched from regular drivers to 1/4 bits for almost everything as they are hollow ground and disposable as they wear. You want one not quite as wide as the slot, but close to as thick.
I like to use a small impact driver. That way I have two hands to really lean down on it while it does the twisting.

Scott H

Scott
User
Thanks everyone. I was figuring grinding might be where I end up but I thought I'd ask in case there was something off the shelf I was missing.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Much nicer than generic. Problem: " After 22 years in business, we are ready to retire. We are now closing out all of our new product inventory."

Of course, no reason you can't file any driver flat but hollow ground is easier.

And of course, even flat bits of decent quality are not at the big box stores, so you do have to order them. For your one immediate problem, I would just hollow grind or file flat whatever driver you have. Hollow apply force just at the root of the slot where it is least likely to cam out or deform. Remember, your actual contact is a tiny little edge.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS