Stanley No. 7 Hand Plane - $100 (Asheville)

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Stanley No 7 Hand Plane - $100

1605713423035.png

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I agree with Mike -- Stanley plane bodies never had the "V" shaped ribs behind the tote and they always had the size shown as well. The blade does not appear to have any inscription or logo and the lever cap appears to be of more recent vintage than indicated by the low-profile knob. It's a franken plane.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
New one on me.

Looking at eBay, I think I'll sell all my planes, make a lot more than I am using them.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am thinking I agree with Mike and Rob - here is a stock photo of an England Stanley #7, and while there may be some variation (age range etc.) there is no rib on the toe of the plane and there is no nomenclature on the posted plane... as you see in the second picture "Made in England"

I was thinking wards or Craftsman even another hardware store brand - guessing it would tune-up O.K. but it would be better to see it in person... to determine what if anything is missing or needs fixed / replaced...
1605720290354.png

1605720501373.png

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Perhaps. But Montgomery Ward and Sears contracted for their tools. All the Wards Master's I've seen (and I own a few...) were made by Stanley. Sears contracted with Miller's Falls, Sargent and Stanley.

I've seen English Stanley's like the one you posted. Record also made some with a rib but different than the OP. I've never seen another maker with a rib.

I've never seen one like the OP...... it looks like an earlier version of the 1950's Stanley design. It could be a house branded plane but looks like Stanley to me.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Perhaps. But Montgomery Ward and Sears contracted for their tools. All the Wards Master's I've seen (and I own a few...) were made by Stanley. Sears contracted with Miller's Falls, Sargent and Stanley.

I've seen English Stanley's like the one you posted. Record also made some with a rib but different than the OP. I've never seen another maker with a rib.

I've never seen one like the OP...... it looks like an earlier version of the 1950's Stanley design. It could be a house branded plane but looks like Stanley to me.
I hunted, but couldn't find a Stanley with the rear ribs and not the front ones (other then an English version) I know the "cordovan" style had ribs, but it doesn't look like someone "refurbished" that one...
Like Rob said: "Franken-plane"...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS