Stanley No 2 Plane

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I purchased this plane with the intent of using and after researching determined that 1) it is not terribly useful and 2) it is rare and highly collectible. As far as I can tell, it is a very early model which typically sells in the range of $175-$300 on Ebay (not sure what makes the difference). I wanted to post here first to see if some of the collectors were interested as opposed to posting on Ebay,, CL or Facebook marketplace. I am open to offers as those of you that collect are more knowledgeable about the different Stanley planes. It is in excellent shape with no rustor repaired damage. There is a spot of paint on the handle. The lateral lever is actually removable and most I have seen are not. In addition, the entire lever is flat and most appear to have a turned under piece on the tip. I am not sure if this is due to the vintage of this one or if it was replaced as i cannot find images of one like it.

Attachments

• 2804A324-87E2-4041-ADDD-9230CF1C3659.jpeg
    2804A324-87E2-4041-ADDD-9230CF1C3659.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 180
  • 5133F8BE-B199-4079-A1BE-6555FFB309D3.jpeg
    5133F8BE-B199-4079-A1BE-6555FFB309D3.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 186
  • B3D562D5-9F5A-4503-A6B2-E2BA40366337.jpeg
    B3D562D5-9F5A-4503-A6B2-E2BA40366337.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 188

cyclopentadiene

User
No. It is completely flat with no side tab and also symmetrcal. The one you show is how all the images I have found look.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
If it's a Stanley then it's most likely a replacement. That's not a big deal especially since it's already loose. It would be easy to pick up a period correct one and carefully peen it back secure.

Does it have any markings on the body... inside the adjustment wheel?

cyclopentadiene

User
None. The measurements of length etc match the earlier models. The ftog and blade have Stanley with no color
1612875968737.jpeg

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Based on the frog receiver it could be a type 6 if there are markings on the inside of the adjustment wheel. The screw on the knob is obviously not original.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'm not certain but I don't think that's a Stanley. I think it's a Union. The iron is clearly a replacement. The tote and knob aren't rosewood but look like mahogony that was featured on Unions.

If I'm correct is a much more interesting plane than a Stanley. Value is probably close to the same.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I'm not certain but I don't think that's a Stanley. I think it's a Union. The iron is clearly a replacement. The tote and knob aren't rosewood but look like mahogony that was featured on Unions.

If I'm correct is a much more interesting plane than a Stanley. Value is probably close to the same.

Didn't the unions have an extra detail on the bottom of their knobs and weren't their frog receivers more of a V shape? I'm no expert on Unions...or Stanleys...or much at all

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I might be interested depending on the price. I have a couple of Unions already. Currently trying to fill out a set of Sargent VBM's and a set of Millers Falls.... I guess a set of Unions would fit right in.

cyclopentadiene

User

I tried to send a PM but all of your account is private. I had one other person interested before you but have not received a response. Are you interested? if not, I am goin to post the plane elsewhere.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS