Stanley Miter box

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am curious if anyone has a Stanley miter Box and still has the "clips" (Some call them a "trip lever"?)
I learned in a subsequent search that these MB-86are called the trip clamp and screw
I want to make them, but have no dimensions nor understanding of the geometry.

EDIT: I am looking for the piece on the saw (MB-86 diagram below), not the lever on the miter box itself (MB-84 / MB-85 diagram below)

1632410446093.png
1632410451468.png
1632410628619.png

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, Mike Davis has one. I photographed It, but have yet to produce a copy of it.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, Mike Davis has one. I photographed It, but have yet to produce a copy of it.
Thank you
I think mine is a 346 or a 358, but I need to look at it when I get home to confirm - I understand the clamps might be different for different versions... plus I am not sure if the saw is the one that came with that box, (in fact I doubt it) so the yoke might have to be adapted to the saw...

Interesting, in my search I found this YT video from Ron Herman:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You will find that a lot of the parts for the Stanley products are a little more interchangeable than you think.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had stated a discussion with a seller on e-bay and he sent me some dimensions and pictures
I thought I would share the information here
You know woodworkers and tool collectors are some of the best people in the world!
The height is 1-7/16"
Width is 15/26"
Thickness is 7/16"
Space between the "fork" for the saw spine is 3/8"
Screw length is 15/16" overall
Screw head is 7/16" x 3/4" oval.
Threads are .175 - 28
Total weight is 1.2 ounces

1632427012948.png
1632427024410.png
1632427041942.png
1632427052330.png
1632427065708.png

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello son--there is still a sheet of ply in my carport with your name on it! You sho8uld visit me too on the way to Mike's.
GEEZ, a mind is a terrible thing to waste! But I seem to do it every day!

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
not to steer you to another website (as this one is the best) but lumberjocks has a miter box of your dreams forum, might be able to find someone there who has an extra one.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
not to steer you to another website (as this one is the best) but lumberjocks has a miter box of your dreams forum, might be able to find someone there who has an extra one.
yea, I have posted a question on NCWW and LJ (some time in the past) and the snarky comments I got on LJ versus the great advice delivered with kindness here has made me stop going elsewhere!

That is why I am adamant that we keep the "friendliest place on the web to talk about woodworking" moniker even at the risk of offending people who think we are going overboard in moderation... You DON'T want a newbies first experience to even be a little distasteful... JMHO

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That would be easy to make out of 3/8" sheet brass with a hacksaw and files.
Yes, it would look nice in brass or stainless...
While it would be nice to have an original, it is NOT worth $80! (yes that is the going rate... guessing you can find them cheaper...)

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
yea, I have posted a question on NCWW and LJ (some time in the past) and the snarky comments I got on LJ versus the great advice delivered with kindness here has made me stop going elsewhere!

That is why I am adamant that we keep the "friendliest place on the web to talk about woodworking" moniker even at the risk of offending people who think we are going overboard in moderation... You DON'T want a newbies first experience to even be a little distasteful... JMHO
I asked the question at LJ anyway (I'm stubborn like that :cool: ) and one guy have a relatively simple design approach and said it works well. Here are the picture of what he made. If you are going for full restoration then I would keep looking, but if you are going for functional then this might work for you, seems fairly simple to make.
Miterbox1.jpg
Miterbox2.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS