Stanley Hand Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Today and tomorrow (10 and 11) Lowes is advertising 20 percent off Stanley Hand tools. IIRC several folks have suggested that some models of Stanley Handplanes sold by big box retailers are excellent values.

Does anyone have specific handplane item/model numbers one should look for?

Are there other Stanley Hand tools I should keep my eye out for?

Thanks,
Sapwood

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
I don't think you can call the new Stanleys from the BORGs "value".
They are cheap, but I'd spend some more, at least get an old
Stanley.

Monty

New User
Monty
FSD does bring up a valid point. The "hand tool elite" will tell you to avoid those planes in the box stores. Truth is, the quality is not nearly as good as an old vintage Stanley, but you'll get a usable plane... as long as you make sure you get the right one.

I think they may stock the 12-904 (or one that looks similar) - a reasonable plane for sure:

They also stock this style block plane (low angle - 21*, with adjustable mouth), which is also a good user:

IMHO, you'll want to avoid the planes that look like these - I've seen some of these in some Lowe's stores:
S_12404_150dpi_midres.jpg
S_12102_150dpi_midres.jpg

Regarding obtaining an old vintage Stanley, it really depends on the individual whether or not it seems like a good deal. Is the quality better? Definitely. With the older planes you get heavier castings, better design in the frog area, hardwood/rosewood totes & knobs instead of plastic, etc...

Are you guaranteed a good usable plane if you buy an old one off eBay or an auction? Not really, and even then only if you know what to look out for. But if you're careful, watch out for scams, and bid conservatively, you can get some awesome deals on eBay. The old Stanleys I have were all about the same price (or much less) as the Borg planes, but the quality is light years ahead!

Edit: I just realized I referenced the wrong two planes on the Stanley site - I didn't look past the first couple of pages... sorry!!! I changed the links so they show the ones I would pick.

Last edited:

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
OK, the low-angle block might be good. What about the blade? How long
does it hold the edge? I am curious, as I don't have these new products.

For the blocks, I do prefer a knuckle cap one.
Of the blocks I have, I've been using the 103 a lot (a level behind to adjust
the blade), even though it's not a low-angle. It fits the hand (so does
the knuckle capped ones)

This summer at the Brimfield, MA flea market, I got a SW Stanley #4
(with partial sticker) + 20" hand saw for $8.

On the other hand, I was able to put together a full Stanley #92 by
buying from http://stores.stanleytools.com/ , much cheaper than
bidding on the bay, and I found it useable and square.

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
OK, the knuckle cap plane probably is just a personal choice. I just don't think that the quality of that one at Lowes is good. I actually have one of them, but I haven't tried to use it in years - maybe I'll sharpen it up and try it out again...

Regarding the "bargain" factor - you can probably tell that I am also of the opinion that you can easily obtain a better quality plane for cheaper if you dig a little. But you'll have to work on it some to get it ready for use, and you can get burned if you haven't done your research first. I have also seen people pay too much (IMO) for older planes.

To each his own... bottom line is, if you're going to buy one of the Lowe's planes, there's nothing wrong with that - it'll work just fine. Just don't get one that is a poor design - not all Lowe's stores stock the "better" ones that I pointed out above.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks folks, knew I could depend on you to watch out for me:mrgreen:

I like the older planes, it's fun to try and fix them up. However, I'm not into ebay stuff and the opportunities to find them locally are rare. I check craigslist, local papers, and occasionally flea market type venues. Of course, there's always those neanders at woodnet that often offer some good stuff at a fair price.

So now that I'm armed with a little more info I can browse Lowe's this afternoon and check it out. Besides, they have rulers, workbenches, etc., too!

Hope to make it to WWS sale in Graham tomorrow morning, so I gotta save some bucks for that. For others that are coming, I suggest you arrive early for the cheapo stuff. They put overstock/returns on tables outside and there are some great deals--but they go quick.

Sapwood

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
I know my input is a little late :roll::BangHead: but I have the Stanley block plane pictured in insomniac's post, except it has the standard throat. It has been an excellent plane- I haven't had to sharpen it yet (with the exception of the tune-up it got as soon as it made it home from Lowes). I know its not as good as some of the old Stanleys I've got around the shop, but for a daily user it does a fine job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS