Stanley Bedrock Plane Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have found an old Stanley #4 Bedrock pland in need of much TLC, but the only thing wrong with it is the lever that controls the angle of the blade is broken. Is it possible to replace this? Where or who can repair it if I can find a replacement?

Thanks.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Thanks for the link, Michael.

The part that is broken is the lateral adjustment lever. I am afraid that the cost of a replacement frog would be more than my limited budget can stand. I am hoping that I can find a replacement lever. I think that it is only braded in place.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
You touch on what I deem a touchy subject :)

The lateral adujstment levers are really tough to replace. As in, not designed well from the factory IMHO.

I'd suggest you not worry about it. Very lightly tapping the edge of the blade with a small hammer will have the same effect. Depending on how delicate a person you are, a small brass hammer is sort of traditional. But I don't have one. I've been know to use anything lying on the bench (chisel, pen, cat ((don't ask)).

If you were talking about restoring the plane for collectable value, then I'd have to go with a whole new frog.

Jim

rick7938

New User
Rick
Thanks, Jim. You are probably right. It is certainly not a collectible. However, Having read a little more on the subject, I have discovered that some of the earlier Bedrocks did not have a lateral adjustment lever. Maybe I better look at it again to make sure if it ever had one.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Rick, all of the bedrocks had lateral adjusting levers. Stanley added the lateral lever feature to (most of) their bench planes in 1884. The first versions of the bedrocks were produced in 1898 and all had the familiar circular disc lateral adjustment lever. How is yours broken? Is the disc gone or is the entire lever missing? The top of the frog should have a round hole at the top center for mounting the lateral. BTW, the frog is not broken at the top is it? For some reason I've seen a lot more broken bedrock frogs that regular frogs, especially ones with breakage at the top. If the lateral is just botched, it can be replaced, but as Jim said it's not light hearted work and requires some procedure and patience. Those concerns are founded, and great care must be taken to not beat on the cast iron frog or it will break. PM me if you would like and I'll hook you up with a new lateral lever and instructions on how to replace it (without breaking the frog). :icon_thum:icon_thum

rick7938

New User
Rick
Thanks for the offer, Ozzie. I will PM you if I get the plane.

I was searching Stanley parts dealers and noticed Bedrock frogs for sale labeled "Pre-lateral Adjustment Lever". Maybe he just had a bunch with the levers broken off and didn't know any better than I did.

Regards,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS