Stanley #46 Cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
I picked up a few Stanley #46 skew dado planes five or six years ago, but had few blades. Thought it would be nice to make up a few. Well, it has been a multi-year quest. I have made blades and cutters for almost every handplane known to man. By the way, #46 cutters are the hardest to make. Finally got my methods down and cranked out a few sets. Here are the photos for proof.
IMAG0392.jpg

sapwood

New User
Roger
:cool: I like it!
From the backside pix the blades appear to be very thick. Don't give away all your secrets, but could you tell us what material you used to make the blades?

Roger

M

McRabbet

Jim,

Any suggestions on sources for Stanley #45 parts, including some of the cutters? I have a decent shape #45 I picked up at the M-WTCA National Meeting in Chattanooga last year that is missing a few pieces: Beading Stop (73), Depth Stop (77), Cam Stop and screw (80-81) and the Short arms (61).

This picture is identical to the one on the wooden cutter box I have with it:
45label.jpg

I'm missing the 1/8" and 3/8" beading cutters, plus the Slitting Tool, Sash Cutter and Watch Tools. I do have one of the optional Tongue cutters, but it is symmetrical versus the asymmetric one shown on Patrick's Blood & Gore pages for the #45. Suggestions appreciated.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
One last picture. Here is a *class photo* of the #46 cutter batch. There are a total of 135 #46 cutters in the picture. There is a full boxed vintage set, a new boxed set, nine complete new sets and a few extras. Lots of #46 cutters in one spot.

IMAG0396.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
How are you cutting up your steel? I would hope not a hacksaw, but you never know.
Once you get it to size are you putting the bevel on it with a standard grinder? Do you put the bevel on before you get the heat treatment done?

JimReed2160

New User
jim
How are you cutting up your steel? I would hope not a hacksaw, but you never know.
Once you get it to size are you putting the bevel on it with a standard grinder? Do you put the bevel on before you get the heat treatment done?

My process is not for the faint of heart and I do not recommend it to anyone because it is very dangerous. With that disclaimer, here it is. First you need safety equipment. Put on an apron, eye protection, breathing protection, and hearing protection. Carelessness can set your clothes on fire or put your eye out! :slap:

Clamp the marked steel stock in a metalworkers vise. Cut to the line with a hand held angle grinder and cutoff wheel. WHEEE! Sparks fly everywhere, the wheel bucks and jumps, hot steel falls to the floor.

Then the collected pieces are deburred and shaped with an 8" grinder. I like to put most of the bevel in place before heat treating because it is so dang hard afterward. Cannot put the entire bevel down because heat treating can cause warping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors