Stanley 45 Combination Plane - Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outa Square

New User
Al
I just purchased a Stanley 45 off ebay. My intent was to use this as parts or at least i would have some cutters. But in looking at the pictures as i have not received it yet, it appears to be complete. I would like to clean it up and use it. There appears to be some rust; well lots of rust. How is the best way to clean rust from something like this? The planes i have bought thus far have been in better shape so i am a noob when it comes to something like this.

Hopefully this is complete or complete enough and parts can be found and i can make a user out of it. If not i will get the Anant Plough Plane that i have been eying for Father's Day; hopefully i can make a go with this and get a shoulder plane instead.

stan45a.jpg

stan45b.jpg

stan45c.jpg

nelsone

New User
Ed
I used a brass wire wheel on mine. Sandpaper will take care of the cutters.

You have a couple interesting cutters there. I think at least a couple may be from a 55.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I agree with Ed on the brass wire wheel, soak in kerosene first. Depending on whether the rust is surface or has penetrated the surface, there may be some pitting but it should make a fine user.
ken

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I feel like the Spokesman for the Handtool Potato Rust Removal Society, but....

This is a report from 02Blues on using potato water for some hand saws:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f30/day-one-potato-bath-rust-removal-22740

I also started this madness here:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f57/new-use-potatoes-21065/

In your case, be sure to keep the wooden parts out of the water. Its nasty smelly stuff that won't come out of wood.

I just did a weird stanley laminate trimming plane, some old rasps and a metal clamp. It works like a charm, just heed the warnings.

One tip I keep forgetting, be sure to clean any oils off the metal. I've found dish soap or Green works great. Potato soak or electrolysis does not work well with oiled surfaces.

Sweet score BTW!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS