Stanley #3 rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
More Show and Tell.

Here's a Stanley #3C, type 17 WWII era I just finished giving a makover. It was a fairly bad rustbucket but was solid underneath with good wood.

Stripped and refinished the body (most of the jappanning was gone) as well as the wood, just cleaned the rest without getting overly aggressive. I didn't really want it to look new, just clean.

IMG_6015.JPG

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice specimen, full length blade, good wood... nice to see another old "War Plane" put back into service! How did you redo the japanning?

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I used the Dupli-Color engine enamel that everyone likes.

I recently did a #4 with Pontypool japanning. 30 days later I could still scratch it easily with my fingernail. Then I accidently chipped it. So I ended up stripping it again. I may just spray that one now.

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
"I recently did a #4 with Pontypool japanning. 30 days later I could still scratch it easily with my fingernail"

Did you bake it? The japanning I used baked up glass hard. Of course the wife wasnt too happy to come home one day with a couple planes baking in her oven.

Monty

New User
Monty
I have seen other people say you have to bake the pontypool japanning, even though the web site says "DO NOT STOVE under any circumstances". I have used a home brew asphaltum mixture, and it definitely required baking. But, when it was done the finish seems incredibly tough.

IMG_7217.jpg

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
I ignored the warning and baked it anyway as thats what I was told to do.... I think the warning is there for liability purposes, the stuff is made with mineral spirits and I guess could possibly ignite if heated up. I like your idea of doing it on the grill, the baking left a definite smell of road tar in the house.

Good job on that war plane, I always liked the war planes with their thicker castings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS