Stanley #289 works the NC walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
If you have never seen a skew rabbet plane in action, you have missed a treat. Here is a picture of my #289 in action on a dado. More of that NC walnut that I am using for a corner cupboard. This task was to make an open dado for the back piece. I started with a saw kerf, opened it up with a 1/8" cutter in my Stanley #45 and then used the #289 to clear out the waste. What fun!!! This plane cuts walnut like butter. The skew curls just dance off the board. It is hard to imagine having this much fun where no likker is involved!
IMAG0227.jpg

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
For the straight edge cutter, maybe LN or some other place, you can get a replacement.

The #289 is nice, just that the #289s are costly. ;)

SSuther

New User
Stan
Sweet! I don't know why it's so much fun to use a tool like that, but it is so much better than using a screaming tailed tool. I just got an American Woodworking in the mail, and it was the Special Router Issue. I just about trashed it, because I just don't have an interest in them anymore now that I know how cool using neander tools is.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Looks good Jim. How long did that take?

Seems to me that this dado took about ten minutes from start to finish. It starts with a 1/8" groove and that takes some time to do without having tearout. The #289 cutting goes pretty fast, taking about 1/32" with each pass. Since the dado is about 3/4" deep, that would be just 20-30 trips. So I guess the #289 slicing took only a minute or two max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS