Stanley #2 Plane Restore

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I got this at a garage sale, It was pretty trashed...... but I figured it was a challenge so I'd give it a go.

Sorry for no before pix, Anyway - I soaked it in 30% acetic acid (vinegar) for a few hours and got everything moving and unfroze.
Then, I began to hand detail and along the way, the Lever cap broke, probably was broke before and I just did not see it.
OK find a lever cap for a #2.....uhhh these ppl on the net want a kings ransom....... hmmm got to be another way.
I had an extra #3 lever cap, "I know" I'll reshape this lever cap to a # 2 Size. I began to mic out all the dimensions and discovered I could make it work without have to add a weld filler on each side of the lever cap parallel edges.
Got the replacement lever cap re-sized at ground to within .005 (matching the old one as a template)... good enough. Then I flattened the face to iron side, flattened the bottom of the plane, the sides, the frog, chip breaker and flattened and sharpened iron. Someone replaced on of the frog screws.
They must have stripped out the attaching frog screws and re-tapped with a 1/4 x20 (as seen in the pix). They were using an all thread with nut :oops: I tossed that and put in a S.S pan head.

After reassembling the adjusting was troublesome, I think the Bailey chip breaker may have rectangular adjusting hole too far forward. It is almost to the end of the adjusting nut thread.
Anyway got it to work and tried it out. It actually works really well.
This will be a go to plane when the piece is small.
I'll and going to do a complete restoration later, this effort was to get it back into service.

I am going to chalk this up as a success. Check out the pixs

Attachments

• #2 Plane (1).jpg
    #2 Plane (1).jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 144
  • #2 Plane (2).jpg
    #2 Plane (2).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 146
  • #2 Plane (3).jpg
    #2 Plane (3).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 145
  • #2 Plane (4).jpg
    #2 Plane (4).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 145
  • #2 Plane (5).jpg
    #2 Plane (5).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
  • #2 Plane (6).jpg
    #2 Plane (6).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
  • #2 Plane (7).jpg
    #2 Plane (7).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I picked up a #2 at an auction several years ago. It's not for big jobs, but for small work it is a very sweet tool. That and a low angle block are my favorites.

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Reading another posting on a plane part restore he mentioned text on the adjusting nut, I never looked at the adjusting nut. It has the patent dates on it. Kinda cool. This might explain why the plane had a Bailey chip iron on it but the rest was Stanley. In the later part of the 1800's Stanely acquired Bailey and the #2's for a time had both names on the parts depending on the stock that remained.
#2 Plane Adjusting nut.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS