Standing shave horse

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
You are #4 or 5 to show me that. Not where I’m going.
Well, talk about it a little more - I want to understand what you are looking for...

"I have been thinking about a standing shave horse to relieve back pain and to be more personable at demonstrations.
"...I would like to stand erect and have the work at chest level."

So I was thinking Shannon's "Shave Pony" hit all those needs... now it does require a bench or some surface to clamp onto for use...
My thinking would be to design a "stand-alone" version, but maybe the basics could still work???

If not, you must be thinking something completely different....

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, I have built a tripod with a wood block at the head. The wood block has holes drilled for the three legs and smaller holes for a rope to hold down the work. There will also be two more small holes for modular wood plates that support the work in several different configurations. One for larger pieces like walking sticks, handles, legs, etc. One for spoons, one for smaller pieces.

What I have found with my shave horse is;
it's too low for me.
The foot/leg angle is not comfortable for long hours of work.
It holds some things well but not others.
It is cumbersome to carry, store, and set up.
It takes up a lot of space even though I designed mine to be as small as possible
It is difficult to adjust properly
It is awkward to stand up and talk to someone, sit down to work, stand up to talk

Difficult to show someone how to use it while using it-
sit down to show them, stand up to let them try, bend over to hold tool correctly, etc.

A big part of this has been finding the right tool to make large tapered holes for the legs.
I hope that part is done but I have to sharpen and actually use the tools I just bought.

I'll get back to it soon, lots of other stuff going on now.

Dee2

Gene
Corporate Member
Mike, if I were still at ECU, you'd have a senior design engineering capstone project working on this. Oh wait, they limited me to projects <91 mins from campus. Come to think of it, that was a(nother) reason to retire.

Sorry, this post was just not helpful.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike, if I were still at ECU, you'd have a senior design engineering capstone project working on this. Oh wait, they limited me to projects <91 mins from campus. Come to think of it, that was a(mother) reason to retire.

Sorry, this post was just not helpful.
Thanks, but I think I have it worked out. Just need to finish my prototype and decide on refinements.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS