Standing shave horse

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
Mike, this is along the same lines as the bench top shave horse suggested by Steve Martin. The Renaissance Woodworker calls it a "shave pony". You wanted the design to be portable for demonstrations and about 45" from the floor to the work surface. I still question the side-to-side stability of such a contraption but it it works for you build one and try it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Seems to me that he spent a lot of time making that.
Even more restricted.
Tied to the bench.
Not portable in the least.
Proceeds to demonstrate how poorly it performs at work holding.

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
You need to make some sketches of your design which overcomes all of the drawbacks of the other ones.

Tied to the bench.
Not portable in the least.
So make one with 3-4 legs that's portable and fits in the trunk of your car.

Proceeds to demonstrate how poorly it performs at work holding.
That's not true. The second piece of wood that he demonstrated had a smaller circumference than the first one so he needed to lower the brass pivot rod on the clamp head to improve the "work holding". He showed that in the video too.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Come on Jeff, it would hold the first piece or the second. He pulled it right out of the clamp. Plus there was not much room to work.

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
Come on Jeff, it would hold the first piece or the second. He pulled it right out of the clamp. Plus there was not much room to work.
I did not say that it was the ultimate solution for you. I was just offering it as a design suggestion.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I get that and thanks for your input. I have searched everywhere i can think of and found nothing like I need.
This group is great at helping find unique solutions so I thought I would ask the question.

So far all have confirmed what my own research had indicated.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, could you rig up some way to clamp the wood piece by clamping with a weight or a spring you release by stepping on a foot lever? This way you wouldn't be restricted in your movements. If you have a small trailer, you could assemble your shave horse on it and have a stage for your craft show.

Roy G

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sorry, no trailer. That would defeat the purpose anyway, I want to be able to talk to people directly and get them to try the tools/work experience. Also I would like to exchange short legs to use sitting in my living room and working while watching tv or listening to music in the air conditioning in a more comfortable chair or couch while taking up less space than the current shave horse.

Steve Martin

Steve Martin
Senior User
Mike, I just found 2 more `possibilities; 1) allanshepherd.wordpress.com - shown in post about making a hurdle, [I found this on Pinterest] 2) poor man's shave horse - jnullo on you tube

Steve Martin

Steve Martin
Senior User
Mike, folks who make traditional English/Scottish/Welsh fences, hurdles, etc. use a tool called a cleaving brake which you may be able to adapt for your purposes. The reference I sent about Allan Shepherd that i found on Pinterest would, I thought, take you to hurtle making directions but I couldn't make it happen so that may be a bad lead. Mike Abbott also has instructions in his Green Woodworking book about a cleaving break, but his involves driving posts into the ground, not really great for demos at Persimmon Festival etc. Steve.

Steve Martin

Steve Martin
Senior User
Found another standing shave horse for your review at allanshepherd.wordpress.com Hope this works, it did when I tried it. Found it on Pinterest. Stay safe.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Steve, here’s what I found , lots of housing activity and how to grow your own business.

ABOUT ME
I work as a Community Housing Enabler for the Wales Cooperative Centre. I am also an author and prior to my current role was Publisher at the Centre for Alternative Technology.

bowman

Board of Directors, Events Director
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
i saw that, thought the foot hold could be modified as something to lean against once it is attached to the main body of your adjustable bench.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS