Standing shave horse

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have been thinking about a standing shave horse to relieve back pain and to be more personable at demonstrations.

Rather than sit humped over the workpiece I would like to stand erect and have the work at chest level.
I think it would be nicer to look people in the face while working, not always look down at the work and seem to be ignoring them.
Or have to stop work to talk... look up once in a while to see they have left?

Maybe even have a bit of height adjustment.

Tripod legs seem to be the logical form since it will often be used on uneven surfaces, rough ground, and soft grassy areas.
Then a sort of platform with some type work holding device. A foot pedal or rope action would be needed for quick adjustment of the workpiece. Hands free operation so all attention can be directed to the tool in hand is a must.
Modular work holding jigs to better fit different projects?

Have you ever seen anything as described? Any ideas? Seen plans?

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have been thinking about a standing shave horse to relieve back pain and to be more personable at demonstrations.
That doesn't seem practical but I understand your reasons. When you're doing a demonstration with a draw knife how large are the pieces of wood that you'll typically use. A standing shave horse will lose a lot of the mechanical advantage that you get from your legs while sitting.

You're about 6'3" so about 36" to the work surface may be about right.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Mike, I came across this Highland Woodworker video earlier this year and noted the very different style shave horse the moves to at the ~29:52min mark in this video. I cannot find photos or plans for what he calls this "Appalachian Style Shave Horse" but rather only ever see the standard style he uses initially. I liked this more unusual style as I could shave longer parts and could build it to hold much longer parts if needed (i.e. log bed rails & posts). Kind of reminds me of a workbench wagon vise concept.

Highland Woodworking said they've not seen any plans for this style but someone from the UK commented to, " Use a sash clamp. Clamp holds the wood, bench vice holds the clamp". This may work for your standing set up concept.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Sounds like the first thing is go to the gym and build up your trapezius and latissimus muscles. You would be pulling back like rowing a boat but not using your lower back. You might need a brace between your chest and the shave horse so you could put some force in your pulling. I guess you could stand on a platform that would depress under your weight and then hold the work piece while you shaved away. Sounds like a doable thing but really original.

Roy G

Southern_Canuk

Scotty
User
Not sure how good you are with electronics but what about making an adjustable workbench, linear actuator on each end of the bench to lift the top to a comfortable height depending on your work piece. I usually steal them out of treadmills and hook them onto a simple toggle switch.

heck even 2 scissor jacks that you hook a drill into to raise and lower to a good height. Use a 1" dowel as a peg with a series of holes on the legs so you can lock them in after adjusting

zapdafish

Steve
Senior User
I recalled coming across something called a paring ladder

ck1999

Chris
User
Mike did you watch highland woodworker video at the 30 min mark. That style could be made higher where you are standing.

Steve Martin

Steve Martin
Senior User
Mike, on You Tube there is a video "Woodworking Benchtop Shave Horse" which has what could be the way to achieve your wish. He does attach his adapted shave horse head to a vise on a work bench but you could just build a 3 or 4 legged table at the height you want it and then attach the elongated shave horse head to the table. Good Luck!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike, on You Tube there is a video "Woodworking Benchtop Shave Horse" which has what could be the way to achieve your wish. He does attach his adapted shave horse head to a vise on a work bench but you could just build a 3 or 4 legged table at the height you want it and then attach the elongated shave horse head to the table. Good Luck!
I’ve been looking at that and thinking the same thing. Closest thing yet to my original idea but still not optimal. I think I’m ready to start making some rough sketches.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS