Stand(question)update

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I made this stopper stand - Cherry - for the customer that bought the Rose stoppers pictured - others added for fun - my question is should I shoot a pin nail in to the tops to help hold the
runners on or will the tite bond be good enough to hold them - It is only dry fitted right now -
any help would be grateful:icon_thum
Cherry_Stopper_stand.jpg

View image in gallery

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Re: Stand

Since the grain is all running the same direction I would have joined with stopped dados, glued and clamped. But you already cut the "stringers" to finish height... About the only thing to do now is to pin with dowels, clamp and glue. Your choice if you want the pins to go through the tops or stop short of going though the tops. You also could joint with "briskets" or loose tendons or screws and plugs, ... but I think dowels using dowel centers would be easiest, besides the screws and plugs.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member

Phillip,

My only concern here is that you would be gluing to end grain, not an entirely satisfactory situation. If it weren't mishandled, glue alone might be OK, but that's a mighty big "if" in my experience. Should it be dropped, I suspect it would break at the glue joint. If I were doing it, I would mechanically fasten it, probably with countersunk screws and plugs. That's pretty simple, and would only take a few minutes. I wouldn't rely on 23 G pins as reliable fasteners. In that case, you are essentially depending upon the glue joint. I realize that what I have suggested may sound like overkill, but I prefer to have things stronger than they need to be.

Hope this helps.

Matt

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Thanks guys, I wish I was as good as you guys with this flat/case work - I Have some BW and I think that I will turn some dowels and go with the dowel going through the tops

timf67

New User
Tim

+1 on the screws and plugs. besides, plugs are an opportunity to add some visual interest...:icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip

If I do the "plugs" will I not have to have a plug cutter - and a countersink drill bit:icon_scra

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

I think I know what I need to do - stay tuned:widea:
What, buy more tools? :rolf:

Dowels, screws, biscuits - they'll all do the job. We're not talking about a lot of load here.

timf67

New User
Tim

Dowels, screws, biscuits - they'll all do the job. We're not talking about a lot of load here.

mmmm... more tools...:gar-Bi. Good excuse to buy a miller dowel system!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Maybe he will turn and tap is own wooden screws. After all his name is Phillip. LOL

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

If I do the "plugs" will I not have to have a plug cutter - and a countersink drill bit:icon_scra

What Phillip the Spinner from the dark and forbidden lands of the darkside - doesn't have a plug cutter? I thought all darksiders had plug cutters, it's a easy way to make flat wood into little pieces of round wood.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Wish I could bro :eusa_danc

Maybe he will turn and tap is own wooden screws. After all his name is Phillip. LOL

Wish I had the know how to do that

What Phillip the Spinner from the dark and forbidden lands of the darkside - doesn't have a plug cutter? I thought all darksiders had plug cutters, it's a easy way to make flat wood into little pieces of round wood.

Never needed one until now - I guess I will go out and turn me some BW to fit these holes

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

I'd think it would be ok, for wine stoppers (it looks great by the way), as long as nobody stands on it, you should be safe. :icon_thum

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User

You picked a good solution for this project, I would've done the same.

As an alternative to store bought or lathe spun dowels you can use riven pins made with straight grained stock in a contrasting color for a very strong "dowel". You can also whittle the end of the pin and drive it for a plug.

Chuck

timf67

New User
Tim

Excellent solution! :icon_thum I would have cheated and bought some dowel or even mushroom plugs, but your solution is so much better! Can't wait to see the final product!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS