Stand-desk ideas,plans,or dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmc

New User
powell
I am planning on building a stand up desk and need ideas related to dimensions, types of wood, storage, and degree of slant for top. Also how tall should it be for a teacher who is 6' 2" with 36" sleeve length?

Any suggestions or references are certainly appreciated.

THANKS YOUR TIME

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Thomas Moser had plans for one in his first book How to Build Shaker Furniture. He is big on cherry. You also could consider that tall stools could be used here. Think of Bob Cratchit in Christmas Carol.

Roy G

Woodmolds

Tony
User
I am planning on building a stand up desk and need ideas related to dimensions, types of wood, storage, and degree of slant for top. Also how tall should it be for a teacher who is 6' 2" with 36" sleeve length?

Any suggestions or references are certainly appreciated.

THANKS YOUR TIME

I finished one for a client that was approximately 42" wide X 20" deep and about 42"-44" height. I recall reading somewhere at the time the flat height or lowest part of the slant is elbow height. Almost any hardwood would be appropriate. His legs & stretchers were about 1-3/4" square.

I assume you're talking about one like this.
col-maryland.jpg

Tony

There are some pretty good detail shots here. http://www.beyondtheofficedoor.com/COL-MARYLAND.php

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Is this a lectern (aka podium) for school teaching or preaching? What's the intended use?

Lectern.png

The top has a 15 degree slope for lack of a better number.

The recipient is 6' 2". Measure from the floor to the elbow joint and adjust the height accordingly.

Lectern_2.png

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I would suggest investigating making the desk adjustable. It would give you your stand up desk and also the option of using it as a traditional desk. I would also think it would be more appealing positioned at the traditional height when not in use. Not sure the cost of a lifting column that would meet your needs, but would be work a check to see if it made sense.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
If the end-user doesn't know what height...then I'd be a bit worried they would be unhappy with what they get.

A co-worker just bought his second standing desk. Both have been adjustable and I recall him mentioning that he has adjusted the height many times as he has adapted to using it. His new one is a full-size desk and is adjustable all the way down to sitting height so that he can do both. Wish I had a better answer for you :(

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Check out the standing desk here. I designed it for a client. I can check the height dimensions although I disremember how tall the client is.

striker

New User
Stephen
Check out the standing desk here. I designed it for a client. I can check the height dimensions although I disremember how tall the client is.

OOH, I have been looking for a small desk to hide my Imess of cords, phones and things smarter than me. this could be the answer. I'd be interested if you had any further dimensional help.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Since the design really belongs to Mr. Downing now, I can't share all the details. The desk is about 35 in wide and the legs are about the same. The desk at the back is about 50" high while at the front it's around 45.

pmc

New User
powell
Thanks for the reference and photos

This is an excellent source, I will probably use a modification based upon space available and height of teacher

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

pmc

New User
powell
I am planning to use the design on a proto based upon space and physical characteristics of teacher. I will send you a photo of final product.

striker

New User
Stephen
Since the design really belongs to Mr. Downing now, I can't share all the details. The desk is about 35 in wide and the legs are about the same. The desk at the back is about 50" high while at the front it's around 45.

I can appreciate your loyalties. I was just wondering about the unseen construction details. l have a specific location in mind for it so most likely I'd be scaling to fit anyway. ~ thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS