Staining Hard Maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
A while back I asked for suggestions on staining hard maple, and didn't get much response. Since then I have researched and done lots of testing, and here are the results.

The penetrating stains such as Minwax did come out blotchy. The best results I could get with these stains was when I sanded the samples to 220, raised the grain, and then hand sanded at 220. Raising the grain was absolutely critical for better results. I also had to apply two coats of stain with 5 minutes soak time for each application.

The gel stains performed very well, but I couldn't find the color that the customer wanted in a gel stain.

I tried two of the Transtint dyes in a 50/50 solution of water and denatured alcohol. I thought the dyes looked too "fake" for my particular situation. The colors were also much darker than the customer wanted. I could definitely see where these dyes could be useful in certain situations.

Finally I decided on Zar stains. They are much thicker than Minwax (more like furniture polish). With the Zar stains I power sanded to 180 and hand sanded to 220. I did not have to raise the grain and one coat worked perfectly. My only mistake was that I should have sanded the top and bottom of the raised panel one grit more to minimize the contrast between this end grain and the long grain of the other two sides. Other than that I am very happy with the results. I just finished staining tonight, but I will post pictures after I have finished putting poly on it.

My project is to make a hard maple face frame and doors to finish a couple of utility room cabinets that someone else started. I had the Hardwood Store of NC make the doors because they are cathedral style. They did a great job!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Interesting. I have had very little success myself staining hard maple.

Where did you get the Zar from? I don't think I know of any place local that carries it.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I got it from Fitch Lumber and Harware in Carrboro (Fitch Lumber-www.fitchlumber.com) . A pint is $3.79. They also have Anchorseal in quarts (I had a hard time finding that). What was so nice about the Zar was that if one area was significantly lighter than the rest, I could just add a little more to that particular area. I will post pictures soon.

Amy

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
For hard maple general finishes gel stains have worked well for me in the past!

For me that depends on when, where and how often I played. I don't miss the game much as it was not nearly as satisfying as having something to show for my time when all was said and done. Both pastimes left me with a lighter wallet, but somehow ww'ing tasted better and was less filling ...

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
This one is for Jeff ... :) :lol: :)

I just put the first coat of poly on the doors and ff. Here are some pics.

I stained the maple because the customers asked for a "cinnamon" stain. I really like it because it brings out the figure in the maple without getting too dark. Enjoy!

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 423
  • face.jpg
    face.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 404
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 447
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 443

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
For me that depends on when, where and how often I played. I don't miss the game much as it was not nearly as satisfying as having something to show for my time when all was said and done. Both pastimes left me with a lighter wallet, but somehow ww'ing tasted better and was less filling ...

I guess I am missing something, becuase I don't quite understand. Is it the price of general finishes that is a problem? Or something else?

J

jeff...

Ok I can't keep my mouth shut any longer :BangHead: please tell me again why you changed the color of the wood (stain) and not the color of the finish (toner) on the wood?

Thanks

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You know, I hadn't thought about that Jeff. What Amy did is what Amy did, but I personally only recently learned about doing toners. I haven't tried them yet, but all I have ever seen in the past (Norm) was using a stain and then finishing.

J

jeff...

No worries, it's just me - I despise stains. Amy did an awesome job :icon_thum

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Jeff,

Can you explain about toners? I am not familiar with them. I just tried anything I could find in finishing books or think of. A woodworker down the street from me was the one that told me about the Zar. He said that Minwax used to be similar to the Zar about twenty years ago.

I forgot to mention earlier that wood conditioner did not help me with the hard maple - it actually made it worse.

Tomorrow night I'm going to install the ff and doors. I'll keep everyone posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors