staining grout ( intentionally) and post sealers

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
In my J&J bath, it has cement grout. Light tan. I would like it a tad darker. Is it possible to use either water or oil based wood stain to darken the grout? I think I have some leftover to test with byt thought I'd toss the question out there. If dirt can darken it, why not stain?

Then , looking for the best penetrating sealer. Searching the WEB, it seems the "grout sealers" are surface and the recommendation is for a penetrating "stone" sealer.

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
I know my tile guy has had good luck with staining. I'll ask him and let you know.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Thanks. I have the new sealer so would like to know before I dive in and it is past the point of no return.

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
He said any grout sealer will work, and that there is nothing too special about them. He didn't mention the staining aspect in his text.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Guess I have to test. Seems to me, any wood stain should work and then seal. Going to do a porch table and see what happens.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have used alot of different coloring methods to grout in the past.
I have used Marks a lot, Rubber based pens, Alcohol dyes ... all for cheap clients that wanted to sell the house / condo and needed a fix. All of those methods worked and I sealed with a typical grout sealer. Do not know how long they lasted but they work. The most important thing is to clean the grout 1st and then dry it out with a hair dryer. I do not work for those kinds of clients anymore.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS