Stain Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I made a cabinet for my wife and went to stain it. Since it was going to match an existing cabinet, I was going to use the same stain on it. Opened the can and saw it was not very full. Being foolishly optimistic, I said that was enough. Not so. Okay, so I have a half-stained cabinet. Off to the store. Don't carry the stain there and it's not available on-line. I looked it up on Google and by golly, the closest store that maybe carries it is in Fayetteville, only 1 1/2 hours away. Amazon shows it as available but implies the item is no longer in production. So I e-mailed the company and am now awaiting an answer as to whether I can get some. The stain in question is Varathane Ipswich Pine Gel Stain. I don't want to try to put another brand over what's there and the color probably would not quite match. Is there any recourse besides stripping or sanding off the old stain?

Roy G

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I understand your concern but a gel stain can be pretty forgiving so you may not have a big problem. Wipe on/wipe off and maybe apply a few more wipe on/wipe off coats until you get a close match to the existing cabinet.

1. Are the two cabinets adjacent to one another so that a stain mismatch would be pretty obvious or maybe just subtle (some minor differences won't be apparent to the eye).

2. My Amazon link says 4 in stock and more on the way...

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-224455H-Varathane-Stain-Ipswich/dp/B000I1RWNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS