stain over BLO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benwise

New User
Ben
hi there, I just put on my first coat of BLO on one of my trestles for a walnut dining rooms table I'm makin', and the BLO highlighted a small area of wood glue overage around a joint. (I thought I had sanded this all off, but alas...) Anyways, can I put a small amount of dark oil-based stain on the glue, as a touch up? The glued part is lighter colored and unsightly...:gar-Cr

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No, the stain will not be absorbed into the wood if there is a glue spot. Your best bet is to try and scrape away the glue spot and then continue with your finishing schedule. You are lucky that you found it after the initial BLO application, it will be much easier to fix now than later.
Dave:)

striker

New User
Stephen
Ben,

I think the stain may have the opposite affect your looking to do. The stain will darken the area around the glue spot and not take to the glue areas. As a suggestion, maybe a razor blade used in a scraper fashion will remove the areas of glue.

Stephen

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I would try ro scrape the glue off (I use the backside of a chisel) and then sand it slightly. That shoud clean the glue off so you can reapply the BLO in that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS