stacking qs oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
In addition to tools, I inherited stacks of oak and walnut, which I'd like to sell. The stuff has been drying over 8 yrs. 5/4 and 6/4 & 8' long mostly.
Some of the walnut is 8/4 and over 12' long. However, my question is: For those who sell lumber, do you stack the QS separately?,...or put all pcs in same pile, like my Dad always did.
We also never bothered to separate the red from the white....oak is oak, right. In fact, there may even be some ASH in the stacks....

I hate restacking a pile after a buyer's been thru one. So, how do seller's deal w/this as well. Have them buy it layer at a time, no sorting thru? Or what?

I'm not a seller but, at almost all the yards we use, QS will be stacked separate because it is priced differently. As far as restacking, if you allow "cherry picking" it will be a mess when some people leave. When we go to pick up lumber, I tell my people to restack it like they found it. Most of our venders will allow us to cull a few boards, even if it's against policy, because they know we don't leave it a mess. I'd tell them before they start digging, they have to restack or they don't cull.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm not a seller but, at almost all the yards we use, QS will be stacked separate because it is priced differently. As far as restacking, if you allow "cherry picking" it will be a mess when some people leave. When we go to pick up lumber, I tell my people to restack it like they found it. Most of our venders will allow us to cull a few boards, even if it's against policy, because they know we don't leave it a mess. I'd tell them before they start digging, they have to restack or they don't cull.
I usually give cull boards away - so its not such of a mess...

it's natures way of telling you somethings wrong
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0Vu_utUZY

Glenn1

New User
Glenn
I have a kiln drying operation and I agree with Shane. I have always kept the different species stacked separately. I would even keep flat sawn oak and quartersawn oak stacked separately. It just makes things easier for the buyers. I do agree however that stacking is not a day at the beach. We stickered 1400 bf today and it was a days work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors