Square lidded padauk box....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
There was a turning challenge and trade on another forum involving turned boxes. That was an offer I could not refuse. The rules stipulated a box with dimensions of 3" in height and diameter minimum. That is a little larger than I like to turn for a box but I obeyed the rules. A while back I saw a box by either Ray Key or Chris Stott in a magazine and made a mental note. I decided to try it for this challenge. This was really a challenge for me and if you haven't tried turning a square piece of wood you should. Just get good health insurance. That whirling 4 cornered block of finger smashing death will get your attention....:rolf:

In padauk, a wood I hate to turn, 3" in diameter and 3 1/2" tall. I even managed to get a pretty good grain match. Comments appreciated..... I included an inside view of lid to prove it is a box...

Attachments

• C&T4 (650 x 650).jpg
    C&T4 (650 x 650).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 181
  • C&Tinside2 (600 x 388).jpg
    C&Tinside2 (600 x 388).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 169

Toddler

New User
Todd
Cool box. And yeah, that sounds scary!

Not to show my ignorance too much, but if the paduak was too small to turn a circle and then cut it to square, why not glue on four pieces to the edges, bandsaw it to round, and then cut just inside the glue line to make it square again after you turned it? I know it adds steps, but it seems a LOT safer than having those edges spinning near a sharp chisel.

Todd

dozer

Mike
Duck :rolf:

Great job mike everytime I see a new lidded box that you have turned I get new ideas of things to try myself thanks and keep up the good turning.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Thanks gents. I turn a lot of boxes, Mike. I can turn a box in about an hour and finish it in another hour. I now have 4 chucks so I can turn 4-5 boxes a day.

No, I don't turn boxes exclusively but I do specialize in them. I love turning boxes and it is the reason I started turning. I saw a picture of a turned box on the cover of Richard Raffan's book on turning boxes and I wanted to learn how to do that. Boxes sell reasonably well to ladies and to collectors. One of the reasons I turn so many different woods is to appeal to collectors. I turn so many designs for the same reason. I don't think I will ever be independently wealthy from turning boxes:rolf: . At least I help pay for my hobby. I still do some flatwork boxes and some small furniture pieces for family and friends.

I wish anybody luck that wants to make a living exclusively by woodworking. I tip my hat to them because they have to be extraordinarily skilled. I will never have that problem....:oops:

Todd, I have turned square bowls the way you described. The first time I turned a square bowl I did exactly what you suggested. Now I have advanced my skills to the point where I don't fear the whirling block of finger smashing death as much. I still have a healthy respect for it though.

Thanks for looking...

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Is it just me or is everyone getting tired of Mike's pix of his lidded boxes...and this one to top it off...a bowl with a coaster sitting on top of it....did you buy those separately, Mike, or were they a set. :lol:

Lol...once again, Mike, very nice. Thanks for sharing. I really like some of the 'flows' you put into your work. This one, I especially like the top of the lid. So, what do you have against padouk?..just curious. I think one thing that is most enjoyable with smaller projects like this is that you can experiment and it usually comes out beautiful.

good job...please continue to share!!!
Chris

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Padauk is one of the most irritating woods I have ever encountered, personally irritating that is... I hate being dyed red from the dust and it seems to disagree with me in that I find it very astringent. The thing I hate most is the fact that the color turns to a muddy brown in short order.

Thanks for the nice comments.

cskipper

Cathy
Mike, I love the box and the lid. You skill never ceases to amaze me. Someday I want to spend a day just watching and learning (though not a square lid :lol: ). I agree about Padauk - it's gummy, stains everything, irritates my lungs and skin and then has the audacity to lose its color.

DavidF

New User
David
Mike, I love the box and the lid. You skill never ceases to amaze me. Someday I want to spend a day just watching and learning (though not a square lid :lol: ). I agree about Padauk - it's gummy, stains everything, irritates my lungs and skin and then has the audacity to lose its color.

Yep, all of the above AND I made a whole table top out of it!! I'm still finding hidden corners of the shop bright red!

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
WOW Mike :eusa_clap
I love the look of that box :icon_thum Soon I am going to turn a box :slap: I have bought the blank now all I need is the courage :rolf: :rolf: to give it a try. I know one thing it will not have a square lid as I am working on another square bowl (OUCH) :lol: :lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,
Haven't seen the other entrants, but it looks like a winner to me!
I knew your creations required a high level of skill, but I didn't know it took courage too :icon_thum

Roger

Big Mike

New User
Mike

Cathy, Gator mentioned a while back possibly hosting a turning picnic at his house. If we could get a few people who have mini-lathes and George has the room we could have a wonderful day doing turning demos and telling stories and eating good food. I would love to do that with the friends of NCWW. Makes for a great day.:icon_thum

Toddler

New User
Todd
I read that if you use a UV inhibitor / protectant, that is won't turn brown as fast. Don't know how accurate that is.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hmmm.....sounds like I may have a trip east in my future!...especially if lidded boxes are on the agenda

Chris

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Cathy, Gator mentioned a while back possibly hosting a turning picnic at his house. If we could get a few people who have mini-lathes and George has the room we could have a wonderful day doing turning demos and telling stories and eating good food. I would love to do that with the friends of North Carolina Woodworker. Makes for a great day.:icon_thum

Anyone selling a Mini-lathe? :rolf:

T

toolferone

Cathy, Gator mentioned a while back possibly hosting a turning picnic at his house. If we could get a few people who have mini-lathes and George has the room we could have a wonderful day doing turning demos and telling stories and eating good food. I would love to do that with the friends of North Carolina Woodworker. Makes for a great day.:icon_thum

I would love to go to that. I have a mini lathe I can bring. At GAtors shop I assume the turning would be done outside? If that does not pan out I would be willing to host in my workshop (still unheated, so spring would be great) If we plan it right I could bring some of the lathes and tools from work (for either event).

As a side note Mike I love the box. I would love to turn a square edge bowl but have been real nervous to try.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Tom, let's work up some sort of a plan and do this. I have been to several woodturning picnics and they are great fun. I see no reason why we can have some fun right here at home. I will attend and demo turning boxes.... Let's line up some other demos and lathes and we can have a good time.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I'm not a turner but., I really enjoy seeing your work. Very good and they always have very good symmetry. I'll go for picnic!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors