Square foot cost of shop??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonewood

New User
Alan
Anyone built a freestanding shop lately? Bout how much did it cost per SF, and how much of the work did you do?

I can't stand it no more--need me more room:-(

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Alan a few other questions to ask. Do you want a slab? Insulation? Things of that nature.

With a slab you could get up to 40 bucks a square foot (For Something in the 2 car garage size range) . A lot of it really depends on what you put in it. Lighting, Electrical, Windows, Wall Hanging Systems (Slatwall, Pegboard?) and things of that nature add up pretty quick.

bonewood

New User
Alan
Slab may be impractical cause of slope of property. My concern is just for the basic building itself. I'll do everything after that--electrical, plumbing, insulation, etc.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
so, Mike, your building cost you about $12 a foot? Great deal! to think the BORG's want upwards of $8,000 for a similar size building

lbmallett

New User
Larry Mallett
I just ordered a 36 X 36 Metal Building from Miracle Truss. The cost for the trusses, roof, sides, a double door, 4 skylights, and some trim was $14.5K. I don't have a level piece of ground anywhere near my house, so I called a foundation guy and we're going to put in footers and a foundation. My intention then is to install a wood frame floor, install some windows, insulate it and drywall it. I'll do that work myself with some hired help. I'll contract most of the electrical work, but i'll install lights and heaters myself. Some material (lights, receptacles, power panel, etc) will be scavenged from my old shop so I should save some money there.

If anyone knows of a source for cheap double glazed windows in the Boone/Asheville/Hickory/Charlotte area, I'd appreciate a heads up.

I'll keep y'all posted on the process and the total cost. No pics yet, 'cuz nothing's happened yet.

Larry

sapwood

New User
Roger
Has anyone looked at Hardipanel siding? A friend recently completed a small outbuilding using 4x8 sheets of it and stated there was very little cost difference. It will never need painting and was easy to install. At least that's his version, I've not priced it :eusa_whis

Roger

gator

George
Corporate Member
Mine is 16 x 24. I purchased a garage package from Builders Discount Center. Because I didn't want to lose wall space (and, anything I build will have to go in through a house door, so why not come out through a house door) I traded the garage door for vinyl siding. I had a 3' drop in grade from one corner to the diagonal corner so moving dirt and pouring concrete was out. I use 15 concrete piers which I drilled the holes and poured myself. the kit did not come with a floor system so I used PT lumber and 3/4" PT subfloor. I did all the building and interior electrical. My cost thus far was about $6K. I needed a new panel in the house to replace an old fuse box so I had an electrician put in the new panel, a new outside meter box with a dual feed and run electrical (and a seperate conduit for phone, TV cable etc) underground to the shop for $1500. I later put down 3/4" oak flooring (got a deal on cut-offs at 25¢/sq ft). I have it all insulated except the roof and that is coming soon I hope ($$$$ needed).

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=198

George

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
I paid $26.66 a ft for a large finished shop, 12ft ceiling first floor, 8ft second floor, with everything and did only some of the wood work, floor, etc. That includes it all, heat/air, vinyl siding, insulation, lights, wooden floor, lifting beam, windows, etc, etc, etc......

The electrical was the real killer, had to run power to the shop and then both 110 and 220, 200amp downstairs, 100amp upstairs, it cost 10k just for my electrical work and lights. Duke power would not give me a separate meter and would only run power to the shop if I agreed to pay a commercial rate, which is 50% higher than residential. So I had to pay someone to run it for me and use the meter at the house.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
the contractor I spoke with about doing some minor work to my house told me the same thing about Hardi-siding versus what I have on the house. I have priced the beaded cedar-mill on my house versus the hardi version, as I best recall, the difference was at least twice as much in up-front materials costs.... I think any savings are figured out over future maintenance.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you live in VA, you may want to check out http://www.statelinebuilders.com/. When I was visiting my BIL in Gates county, we went up to Franklin and I looked at what they had. I was very impressed with the quality of construction/price, and they offer aluminum, wood or cedar ply siding. They will custom build what you want. Don't know how far away they will deliver (
Another option (which I used in FL) is to buy a "portable" building (mine was 16 x 20), which they haul in the walls and assemble on site. If its 12' or less, they haul it in already built on a trailer and level it, etc. I then took the metal siding/roof off, sheathed it with 5/8 BCX ply, covered it with 15 lb roofing felt, and reinstalled the metal siding/roof. (used it as an excuse to get my framing nailer) Total cost then was about $3500, but the BCX costs almost twice as much now. It went thru 115 mph winds during Hurricane opal with no problem. A contractor quoted me $25,000 for the same thing on a concrete slab (which was more per sf than I paid for my house)
Just some ideas like that presented by Ibmallet. Get the basic shelter inexpensively and strengthen, modify as you want.

HTHs:lol:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Mike Davis said:
I am looking for a free wood stove for this winter. I love freecycle.

Mike, I have a FREE wood heater if you want it. It is probably bigger than you need for a 16 x 16 shop though. It is a Black Bart double wall with thermostat controlled fan. The flue comes out the back side of the top. I used a few years ago to heat part of my 2000 SF home. I would post a picture but it is stored in an old chicken house under some other stuff. It is HEAVY steel.

My brother has one is his shop (20 x 20) and burns scrap wood to heat the shop.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Mike Davis said:
Sounds exactly like the one I was looking for! :eusa_danc
And it's already been stored in a barn just like (nearly) all my tools!

Now, where he heck is Wallace? :oops:

Mike, it is down near the Coast of NC. Based on Mapquest we are 228 miles apart down I40. If you are really interested I will can move some of the stuff off the heater late this week and get a photo of it. It may have some surface rust, since it is sitting inside an old chicken house, but it should clean up just fine. Let me know if you need the photos. By the way you will need a pickup to haul it. HEAVY.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike, I may be able to help out by the fall. At least from Wallace to RTP area. Also Matt may volunteer (as if I didn't already volunteer him :lol:). IIRC he come from Wilmington to Raleigh/Garner fairly often. And hey, that's 2/3rds of the trip!

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS