Square body clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ok, what is everyone's thoughts on which square body or K body (don't know what is correct) clamp you like the best.

Personally, I have Jorgenson, Gross Stabil, and Bessey. Of the three, at the moment (haven't had the Jorgies that long), I like the Jorgies the best, the Gross Stabil's second, and the Bessey's the least even though I have more Bessey's than an other.

My reasoning for my choices are the Jorgies are the easiest to adjust and tighten to me for my hands. The Gross Stabil's are pretty good there, but they "irk" me some times because two of the four I have do not have holders on the end to keep the heads from falling off. The Bessey's I have yet to figure out how to consistently adjust the clamping size, and I just don't feel like I am able to tighten them as much as the others?

Thoughts, comments, criticisms?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Travis,

Can't speak on anything but Bessey's. I picked up a jorgy in HD one day and really wasn't impressed. I believe I would like the Gross Stabil but haven't tried those either. I have around 12 or so Besseys varying in length from 12" to 50" with the majority being the 24". The new ones I bought from Lee Valley during the latest Bessey orgy, seem to work much better than the older ones I have. I relly like the 12" ones for glueing up small width stuff and actually use the 50" occassionally. If I had the extra cash or really needed a new clamp, I would like to try the GS ones just because they look beefier.

Mike

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have 8 of the Jorgensons clamps in two different lengths and hope to buy 4 more soon. I have not used the others so can't really comment. I picked up a Bessey recently at Lowes and I didn't think it would work as good as the Jorgensons but hard to tell holding it in your hands. I have several other cheap bar clamps and would really like to replace them with more Jorgensons. The cheap ones really aggravate me but have to replace them a few at a time.

Monty

New User
Monty
Travis Porter said:
which square body or K body clamp you like the best.
Whatever I can get my hands on! :mrgreen:

FWW did a clamp review (No 172, Oct 2004), and found little REAL differences among the three brands of cabinet clamps. There are minor differences in the way the head engages on the bar, the size of the handle, and the length of screw travel. The Bessey got "best overall" just based on price. Mine are all Bessey's, just because I happened to stumble on a few sales over the years. :cool:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I have about 2 dozen of the bessey K-bodies and like them so far. I haven't had a chance to try the other ones yet for comparison though.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Can I borrow a few?

D L Ames said:
I have about 2 dozen of the bessey K-bodies and like them so far. I haven't had a chance to try the other ones yet for comparison though.

D L

Mountaincraft

New User
William
Gluing pressure is often over applied. As far as the other parallel jaw clamps, I've used them and they all work. K bodies were the first, and the others are simply slightly different. What ever seems most comfortable, that should be the choice. As far as the "1500's" clamps, I made a few and they worked. But I even have to charge me for my time, and the current clamps are so much better in real life. If I could make every thing myself and have no reprocussions, the stuff many of us could make. Oh, burned the clamps as starter. Twenty hours of work and they still attracted glue, unless meticulously waxed and cleaned.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I have the Bessey clamps and really like them, haven't really found any shortcomings with them. I haven't used any of the others, so I can't speak to those. I also have a bunch of the Jorg. Pony pipe clamps and "F" bodies that I use a lot and they all work fine. Can't have too many clamps.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I like the Besseys but a lot of the guys that use both Besseys and the Jorgies say they like the Besseys more. I guess its just a preference thing. Even the cheapo pipe clamps work. It just depends what you like.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I had heard something quite the opposite. Considering the weight of the Jorgensen's, they are often used for different projects than the Bessey's. I have Jorgensen's. I have checked out and drooled over the Bessey's in Lowe's, before I had any. Then the BORG had a big sale back in December, and 4 Jorgie's now occupy space on my improvised clamp rack, along with a clamping tool guide, some pipe clamps, and various spring clamps. Yeah, the pipe clamps look awfully long, and I may cut them down, but I have the occasional need for clamps that long at work,
improvisedclamprack.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS