Spruce Pine

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarted_phool

New User
david
Ha, I bet you thought I was talking about wood, eh? Nope. It's my little 'ville on the Hill, between Asheville and Boone. Anyway, that's where I'm from. Spruce Pine. I signed up about six weeks ago. I suppose it's about time I introduced myself. I am David Wiseman. A professional Land Surveyor looking for employment. Currently I'm working on starting a lutherie. This is something I love! There aren't many in the area providing guitar repair and service, so maybe I've found my "spot."

I've spent the past few months touring yard sales, craigslist, friends and neighbors looking for tools for my shop.I 've gotten most of the things I need for my lutherie. I'm still lacking a small table saw, planer, lots more clamps and room. Rare Woods in Newland and The Stroup Hobbie Shop have been great at helping me find some of the woods that I need. I have available some wood that I think may make some wonderful soundboards and some to carve a few necks. I will need to get that to someone that can work it for me.

I'm going to build a few "kits" and progress from there. Currently I have one guitar in the planning stage, one started and two dulcimers in progress. All from scratch. A few repairs, adjustments, refrets and lessons would round out a decent business for me. I'd like to find some scale drawings that I could use or modify. I sure wouldn't want to violate any Federal Copyright Laws but I would buy drawings that no one has a use for anymore.

If there are any other luthiers here, I'd love to talk.

I can rant some more later.

Peace, ya'all!
dw

"..if you want to build a guitar, get a piece of wood and rub it until a guitar appear!" - unknown

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site!

Believe it or not we already have a member from Spruce Pine. Maybe you know him?

Pictures, pictures, pictures...

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile!

I can't help but quote Mike on this one...Where's the pictures?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, David.

Good to see you come out of woodwork!:gar-La;

Luther's do fascinate me with their close attention to detail. I wish you luck with your new business.

Post often and by all means show us some examples of your work.

Take care,

Wayne

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our virtual sawdust pile, David -- glad you found us and good luck with your adventure into lutherie.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome David! Don't you just walk around the woods with a hammer hitting trees until one sounds like Tony Rice? :rotflm:
Stringed instrument building has sure been a popular topic here of late. Much rather play than have to fix or build 'em.

There should be some Mosrite guitar spirits surfing around Jonas Ridge if you need some inspiration. There were some pretty cool guitars made in the old school up there before it burned back in the early 80's. Semie Moselely was a real innovator and his guitars go for lots of thousands of dollars since he died. If you know anyone with one collecting dust under a bed the Japanese will lose their mind and wallets over them.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mark,

What does Tony Rice sound like when you hit him with a hammer? :)

David,

Welcome! I am something of a wannabe luthier as well, tending toward ancient stuff.

JohnW

New User
John
"OUCH" :realmad:

Quoted from Tony Rice That's what he sounds like...

Welcome David,
I recommend buying a new book written by Bill Cory. IMHO it's the best one out there for beginners to kit building. Very good directions and illustrations. Find a link to him on kitguitarforum dot com. While there check out the journals. If you plan on making a serious hobby or career out of it, you should keep a journal.

Good luck.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
David Welcome there are two others here from Spruce Vegas My self and one other, and we have one from Little switzerland. Welcome. you wont find a greater bunch than these guys. PM me and well gety together I just live round the corner from Ingels.

Thanks Mark

bwat

New User
Bill
Welcome. I love Spruce Pine area, lived in Boone for over 15 years. Look forward to your input and pics.:icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site David. Can't help you much on the luthier stuff, but I can say that it is quite impressive. Please post some pics whenever you can, and feel free to jump right in. This is a wonderful group of folks. :icon_thum

TedAS

New User
Ted
Welcome David,
I always thought at some point in my life I would like to try my hand at building stringed instruments. I don't know if I will ever get around to it. Perhaps your future posts will give me a nudge.

Ted

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome, David. I've never seen a Luther made. :dontknow: Luthers are scarce, so I guess there is a niche market for them. :elvis:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS