Spring Picnic 09 Wood Idea's

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Scott's place is less than 10 minutes from the picnic site. If you look on Google maps it's where Bonsai shows up.
In addition to the Parks rules about no selling another reason that we don't want a wood run at the picnic is that it takes away from folks enjoyment of the picnic. When Jeff and Scott brought the load of wood to the second picnic all they got to do was deal with folks unloading wood and really didn't get to enjoy the picnic.

So I would suggest that you plan to have folks wanting to get wood to either come before the picnic or after instead of make several trips during the picnic. That way you and Scott and everybody else can enjoy the picnic like it should be.
Dave:)

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I too am interested in picking up a few pieces. I am most interested in cherry/wild cherry if that is possible. Meeting before or at the beginning of the picnic would work best for me as I won't be able to stay until the end.

M

McRabbet

Here is a Google Map for the most direct route between the White Oak Recreation Area and Scott Smith's Farm. His "yard" entrance is past Kadr Womble Road on the right just before the road splits to the RR tracks at Daisy Road.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Directions from the park to my farm: Go east on 64 to the first stoplight (wilsonville). Turn RIGHT (south) on Beaver Creek Road (also called Fearington road to the north), and proceed 6.6 miles. Turn right into the third driveway on the right after you pass Kadir Womble Road (there is an American Flag hanging from an old signpost on the left side of the road immediately across from the driveway that you turn into). Proceed about 200' down the driveway, the shop is in the new building with green sheathing on your left. The door into the shop is by the old log cabin.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Scott, if you're going east on 64 don't you turn right, rather than left, to go south? :eusa_thin Or has my internal compass gone on the blink.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Scott, if you're going east on 64 don't you turn right, rather than left, to go south? :eusa_thin Or has my internal compass gone on the blink.

Yes, but I think that Scott's road is west of the White Oak facilities, so then you will turn to the left to go south.

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Guys, I live 225 miles from Scott's, but my directions are much more accurate if you'd look at them! I've corrected Scott's verbal directions -- I fear he's been moving too much heavy equipment around his shop and has lost track of his right and left!
Here is a Google Map for the most direct route between the White Oak Recreation Area and Scott Smith's Farm. His "yard" entrance is past Kadr Womble Road on the right just before the road splits to the RR tracks at Daisy Road.

Directions from the park to my farm: Go east on 64 to the first stoplight (wilsonville). Turn [STRIKE]left[/STRIKE] right(south) on Beaver Creek Road (also called Fearington road to the north), and proceed 6.6 miles. Turn right into the third driveway on the [STRIKE]left[/STRIKE] right after you pass Kadir Womble Road (there is an American Flag hanging from an old signpost on the left side of the road immediately across from the driveway that you turn into). Proceed about 200' down the driveway, the shop is in the new building with green sheathing on your left. The door into the shop is by the old log cabin.

Stuart, you are correct!

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
I'm interested in stopping by as well. Before the picnic is better for me as well. Whatever works though.

Thanks
Dan Snyder

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Chris, you still planning on bringing my whatnots? If so I will plan on coming to Scott's beforehand. Also you need to call me we need to chat about your ebay postings and how you can save some $$$$$ on your listings.:eek:ccasion1

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Guys It is 10.00 on Monday night and I havent spoke to Scott yet but it looks like a lot of people want to meet before hand....I'm thinking I will be there at Scott's from 8:30 to 10:00 and then maybe a mid afternoion run back over there or maybe we can find a place to just run up to if you can't wait or something like that. I don't want to take away from Scott's fun at the picnic...Like I said I haven't spoken to Scott yet, but I'm hoping he will let me come around 8:30 or so and stay until the picnic. Also remember I have a 3 hour ride so I will have to be on the road by 5:00am pulling a 20"ft enclosed trailer. I have been cutting from sun up to sundown and just stopped here at 9:50 tonight trying to get as much wood together as I can. i know so far I have birdseye Mape hvy figure, Ambrosia Maple, Curly mapple, Black cherry burls, Dogwood Burl, persimmon, and Box elder....And for you flat stock workers I have some flat stock I have cut for box lids and sizes and book matched a lot of it....So after I speak with Scott I will put the exact times in blood and we can go from there.....have a great night I'm crashing...Chris 828-994-7333

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
So I spoke with Scott Smith today and we have nailed down a 8:15 to 9:30 time frame at Scott Smiths House before the picnic....If everyone can RSVP just to this message and let me know who all is coming and how many to expect that would be great. I understand Scott is only 10 mins from the picninc site. If you can't make it in the morning we have another meet planned and I will speak to you about it at the picnic. For the guys I owe stuff to, Scott and I thought it would be ok to give it to you there, at the picnic along as no money is exchanged. I know I'm bring a few things for people that have already paid.

Please just post on here or shoot me a IM so I will know when I think I have enough wood for everyone. If you can't come in the morning just let me know that as well so I can make arrangements with you for a later meet.

So far I will be bringing:
Birdseye Maple
Ambrosia Maple
Black Cherry Burl
Persimmon Figured wood.
Burled Green Poplar.
Dogwood Burl
Walnut Blanks..

For Box guys I have sliced some nice pieces of Ambrosia Maple, Birdseye Maple, and Black Cherry Burl. Ambrosia pieces are 12" wide by 20" long and cherry burl pieces are 10" wide by 15" long, Burled Ambrosia Maple 12" wide by 20" long, Persimmon Wood 10" wide by 15" long. All slices are at least 1-1.5" thick....

Thanks so much guys and I look forward to meeting all of you...

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I would like to pick up some turning blanks and have no problem meeting at Scotts place around 9. I saw what Steve posted, so let me know what it's going to be. I guess if you were going to be at Scotts palce early, people could come there and get their wood and then what is left could be taken to the picnic. That would cut down on the transactions taking place at the picnic.

Bob

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
either place is fine with me. just let me know what is decided. I can be at either place before picnic.

Dan

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
After lots of talking I will just come to the picnic and show people wood...We will try to be low key to not draw to much attention...If you see several guys at the trailer try and wait a little so there isn't a huge crowd please....If for some reason a issue arises, Scott said we can use his farm as (plan B). So I will not be going to Scott's before the picnic....I hope this doesn't hurt to many people, but Scott has his on thing to do and I don't want to cause any hardship for anyone....I will be coming down 40 in a Gold SUV and Low Boy Black double axled trailer...If you happen to pass me please blow a horn so maybe I we can both get lost....lol. :gar-Bi

One last question before I head to the saw...Do guys want larger blanks or medium? Also what about half log pieces will this hurt people wanting to mess with them? I'm just behind like crazy and trying very hard to bring as much as I can....If half logs and rougher blanks want scare people off this will sure help me. I just had 3 pallets of 2000lbs each go out and I'm a one man show so I'm pretty much getting 2 hours a sleep a night trying to get all this ready....So if I ack stupid if it from NO SLEEP...Be sure to help me with counting....lol :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS