Spring Picnic 09 Wood Idea's

Status
Not open for further replies.

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Guys, I didn’t know where else to put this, but I have had a lot of people ask me to come to the picnic and bring some wood...I plan to attend and trying to get a fill on how much I should bring. I have been told by many, but to be honest I have probably forgotten most of the request.....lol. So please let me know if you would be interested in meeting at the picnic and then maybe running to a place close by to look at? I know we can't sell there at the park, so a fellow NCWW who lives close by the park, has offered to let me bring some people over to let them have a looks see. I just need to get an idea of how many would be interested in looking so I know just how much work I have to get done. I will have:
Birdseye Maple,
Cherry Burl,
Poplar burl,
Australian Burl,
Ambrosia Maple
Black Oak Burl
Tiny bit of Dogwood Burl
River birch Burl
Any Request?

Thanks for looking
Chris Brittain
828-994-7333

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Chris,

Matthew Again, You must be a busy man, as I am one of the guys I think you forgot about. Anyway I am the same way. I am interested in some Birdseye Maple burl, as the pictures I sent about the Backgammon board. And also wouldn't mind looking at some Cherry Burl and Austrailian Burl~! Just what is Austrailian wood anyway?

Thanks again Chris for the awesome finds, and sharing with the local woodworkers & turners! YOU ROCK!

I can email again if you'd like a reminder on the pieces I had in mind. I am sure you get many offers with the beautiful items you have!

Sincerely,

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
If you can bring flat stock in figured maple with lots of curl or birds eye I will buy a bunch. Again, I don't want bowl stock so much as flat stock for resawing/veneers.

I really think you are better off bringing more than you think will sell. If it's purty stuff at a decent price I believe folks will take it off your hands.

Chuck

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
OK guys I will have to get in touch with my friend but I figure I will just bring as much as I can and load a trailer full...As far as flat stock the biggest pieces I can cut would be 12" wide and probably 24-36" long...Would 1/2", 3/4", 1" thickness be okay? would those sizes work for you...

Mr Audio,
I believe we are having a email problem I hvae sent 4-5 emails and never heard anything back, I thougt maybe you found some other wood. You want the bookmatch piece for backgammon correct? I have those and pieces...Do you need them sawed or do you need just the square blocks and you will saw. 12x12x8" would be enought correct.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
OK guys I will have to get in touch with my friend but I figure I will just bring as much as I can and load a trailer full...As far as flat stock the biggest pieces I can cut would be 12" wide and probably 24-36" long...Would 1/2", 3/4", 1" thickness be okay? would those sizes work for you...

Don't cut the flat stock thin for me. I would prefer 1 1/4 thick. Longer is better for me. 36 inches would be acceptable. Thicker stock will allow resawing for bookmatched work.

Chuck

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
I will do the best I can on flat stock...I normally cut the logs into 24-36 inch piece so I can move them around easier by myself. I will cut all flat stock 1.5 inches thick and 1" thick...They may not be perfect but I can only do the best I can with the tools I have...I can only resaw 13" wide with my bandsaw...What am I saying I have the Mill now...duh...lol What about checks and things...How long before the picnic shopuld I cut the flat stop? Will it warp in 2-3 days? this is Green wood remember that...I will take some old pieces and cut them today and anchorseal them and then see how long it takes them to warp or check...

Is figured burl green poplar any interest to anyone? Also I have found a great Cedar that I have cut 15x15x8 blanks out of and in 4 hours it cracked...Is there nay secret to cedar?

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Scott Smith has told me it is ok to use his place for letting you guys to look some wood at the picnic....

I will be bring:
Birdseye Maple
Birdseye Ambrosia Maple
Ambrosia Maple
Splated Maple with Ambrosia
Cherry Burl
Black/Wild Cherry Burl
Figured/burled Green Poplar
Cedar Burl
Holly
Tons of Cut Offs for you pen, Bottle Stopper, and duck call guys

If you guys would like me to precut some pieces in certain sizes please send me a note on here or my email with Wood Dim as title. My email is nchsa861@yahoo.com

I llok forward to see everyone...OL Also you guys decide what time you would want to go over to Scott's during the picnic...I might do 2-3 trips over sense some people might not know and then findout and want to runn over and have a look.

Thanks guys for everything.

A little Update...

Ditched the rented space and starting a 40x40 shop behind my house.
Wood Mitzer LT 40 is working
New chain saws Husq 372 XP
6.5 x14 Trailer dual axle
New 4wheeler for exploring and hauling...Polaris 750 4x4 with custom racks I made for wood.
Ebay Store
Now 22K acres to savange for wood in...

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
I plan to bring as much as I can in a 6x12 enclosed trailer so everyone start saving your lunch money....lol. I should be loaded down....

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Guys also I will have a lot fg large pieces that are pieces just to big for me to saw, or I just don't have time to work with them.......These are mostly huge birdseye maple and Ambrosia log I will let go cheap.

I have also strated selling on ebay under user name liftnaleg. I have cherry burl, ambrosia and birdseye maple and DOGWOOD burl listed on there if you can't wait until the picnic fill free to bid on them...Also, if you bid on them, I can help on shipping or bring it to picnic for free...So guys have a look.

Also, I have donated 100-150.00 worth of wood for the raffle so please be sure to support the group and buy some raffle tickets.

See everyone soon.

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Hey Guys, I'm trying to Find Scott Smith to get in touch with him about the up and comming weekend....Does anyone know how far Scott's is from the picninc site? Is the close enough we can make a few trips back in fourth? Or do we need to set time to meet at Scott's.

Guys I have been working 7 days a week trying to get all your wood ready. I'm bring an enclosed trailer full so I hope alot of people will enjoy the wood and the discount prices I'm going to be giving...Scott if you can call me or anyone with some of this info that would be great 828-994-7333.

All blanks I'm bring are pre cut ans squared and anchorsealed. So you will really be able to see all the figure and burls in these pieces. I'm going to bring some large pieces as well up to 24"x24" and I'm trying my best on lumber. guys. This is very hard with a 16" band saw with riser block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS