Spring hinge screw

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I need your help finding spring hinge screws. I will explain its use. I am making a cross stitch floor frame. The work piece will be held together with these two screws. Looking down on the one application you will see four pieces of wood with a screw head on the far left of the four pieces with a screw extending from the right side about an inch. The right side has a wing nut to hold all four pieces of wood together and there is a spring that the wing nut tightens. I hope I have explained myself well enough. I have looked everywhere for these screws and can't find them anywhere. Can anyone help me?
The application calls it a spring-load hinge point.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
It sounds to me like a self-manufactured piece. If so, you can probably find a spring to slide over whatever diameter machine screw you use at the Borg in their special fasteners section, or at a model hobby shop, etc. Maybe also at Ace Hardware, etc (would pay to call first).

If I have it pictured correctly, it will work more smoothly if you also put a flat washer under the screw head, between each of the wood pieces, under the spring, and under the wing nut (6 total). Length of the screw will be determined by the thickness of the four pieces + the length of the spring when not compressed + a couple threads to start the wing nut.

Example would be if the wood pieces are each 1/2" thick and the spring is 1/2" long uncompressed, you would need about a 3" long screw (1/2" for each of the 4 wood pieces, 1/2" for the spring. plus about a 1/2" for the washer thicknesses and starting the wing nut).

HTHs

Go

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
After looking at additional pictures of this screw I to discovered that it was self made. You are correct about the washers. I got the springs today from Ace. I hadn't thought about putting the washers between the two wood pieces but I will do that as well. Thanks for helping me. I was beginning to think I had found something that the woodworking guys couldn't help me with. BTW, my understanding of how the wooden centers and the spring worked came from a contact that I have in the UK. Imigine that. It's a small world. Thanks for the help. Lorraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS