Spray in felt

Status
Not open for further replies.

bash

New User
bash
I am building a few jewelry boxes and have no experience/knowledge about felting the inside of the drawers. I have seen references to spray in felt, but do not know where to get it or the quality of the product. Any input on felting (whether spray-in, spray adhesive then sheets, self-stick felt from the craft store, or any other method)?

Thanks,
Bruce

jskroman

New User
Jim
The spray in felt is called Flock.
Flocking materials can be purchased at Woodcrafters, Rocklers, and some craft stores.
It makes nice lining for boxes.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
DonJer Suede-Tex is what I've used for years. Don't be stingy with the glue or fiber, any excess fiber will shake out and can be reused.
As mentioned, it's available many places.

bash

New User
bash
Thanks guys. I see the Suede-Tex on Woodcraft's site - I'll run over and get some tomorrow. My prototype jewelry box is American chestnut - I'll post pictures of the completed project (with flock lined drawers in a few days.

bash

New User
bash
Here are a couple jewelry boxes with the Suede-Tex (American Chestnut and Ambrosia Maple). Very easy stuff to work with. Thanks for the advice.

IMG_16672.JPG

View image in gallery

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I really like the Suede-Tex, and its so simple to use. First, there are several colors available. The color of the flocking and the color of the adhesive must match, so if you use red flocking, you will need the red adhesive, etc. I tape off surfaces that I don't want flocking on first, ie: the top edge of the box or drawer, then brush on the adhesive giving the surfaces a smooth coat, then use the pump applicator to blow the flocking on the surfaces coated with adhesive. The applicator is less than $10. Allow about 16 hours for everything to dry, then just shake out the excess flocking. I use a large box when I apply the flocking, and shake the excess into the box, then return the left-over flocking to the container to be used again. Really easy--really nice results. I bought some at Woodcraft, but if you're not in a hurry, mail ordering it is far less costly.:wsmile:

Glennbear

Glenn
Your boxes turned out great, I like the woods you selected. I anticipate flocking a future project and now I have the answers to the questions I had about the process. :wsmile:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
This post came along at the right time as the project I'm currently working on is a jewelery box for my daughter. Thanks for all the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS