Spray finishing class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Anyone know of one in the Triangle area? THIS is an area where I think a class would be really valuable for me. I'm considering giving spraying a try, but I'm starting at zero knowledge. Don't even have a gun (have a compressor). Seems like I could skip a lot of my usual steps (i.e. learning-the-hard-way) under the tutelage of someone skilled. I'd like to spray shellac and water-based varnish.

Any ideas?

FlyingRon

Ron
I spray varnish (oil based) with an HVLP gun. There was a pretty good article on finish spraying in one of the magazines (thing it was FineWW) last year. The key is to get a compressor of sufficient capacity to drive the gun you have. I bought both at Tractor Supply which seemed to have the best deal between the places (Lowe's, National Tool, etc...) I was shopping. Can't tell you about a class, but if you were more local to me, you'd be welcome to come over and practice on some stuff I have that needs spraying :)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Talk the admins and see if one of our members would be interested in giving a class.

I would gladly volunteer to do it at my shop (give a demo, training and tips) if we get a group together. It would be free.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Talk the admins and see if one of our members would be interested in giving a class.

I would gladly volunteer to do it at my shop (give a demo, training and tips) if we get a group together. It would be free.

That's very generous! How many people would you need to sign up for a class?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Willem, you do not need an Admin involved. Just use this thread or make an new User Announcement. Thanks for offering to share your shop and your knowledge.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Folks, will be glad to help. We have three so far, suggest we keep the group to six. I'm in Pinehurst NC and Saturdays during the day would be best to do this, flexible for any date which will suit the group. If another three sign up here, let's agree on a date.

This is what I can offer:

1.) I use a HVLP gun with an air compressor, Devilbiss Finishline. This is a bit more difficult than a conventional gun, so if this is understood, conventional guns become pretty easy. Turbine systems are not as flexible, but again a lot of the concepts would apply. If someone has a gun they need help with, welcome to bring it with.
2.) We can spray for training, Sealer, Lacquer as well as Water Based Poly. The former is really easy, the latter more difficult.
3.) We can go through the concepts first, the theory and then practice on scraps of wood, by each person setting up the gun and spraying.
4.) You would need a mask with an organic filter, to bring with, if you need a source I can suggest the same.
5.) I spray in my shop, no special booth or arrangements, so it is ideal for the small finisher, but places a limit on the type of finishes used, as they have to be fast drying to prevent over-spray issues. These are the finishes we will use.

Everything I build, I spray and it is a fraction of the time compared to building the piece, welcome to look at my gallery albums.

Anyone suggest a date and we can start from there.

Willem

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

Wow, that sounds great!

Also, do I recall a shiny new spray booth on the Raleigh Shop Crawl?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'm in Pinehurst NC and Saturdays during the day would be best to do this, flexible for any date which will suit the group....

Anyone suggest a date and we can start from there.

Well, I started this, so I'll throw out the first proposed date: Saturday, October 27th.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Actually Chris, it's old and a bit grungy, somewhat akin to its owner, but it IS a spray booth.

I would love to attend, and then once my booth is up and running—in about three weeks or so—I would be happy to make my shop available for a guest teacher. I have zero expertise, so no-one is going to learn anything worthwhile from me, although they may take comfort in the fact that their stuff doesn't look nearly as bad as mine.

I do have all the toys though—real spray booth with doors and filters, fire suppression, explosion-proof lights and motor, filtered breathable air source respirator, Kaeser compressor/refrigerator with ~19cfm@100psi blah,blah,blah— so we could spray pretty much any finish we wanted to.

Anyway, would love to attend in Pinehurst and then host for those that inexplicably want to miss out on a trip to the Sandhill region. (It's beautiful there!)

K

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would like to attend. I have the same gun, Devilbiss Finishline and would like to learn the right way to set it up

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
I would like to attend. I have a minimite 3 by Fuji. Have used it a number of times for lacquer. Keep running into blushing issues. Am going to try a water-based finish next time. Please count me in. Right now, the 27th is free -- need to check with the family first as my son may have a band competition that day.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
October 27th will work for me as well, but still flexible should more want a different date.

October 27th, first call.

Please copy and paste to update:

Mark Darby - confirmed.
Phil S - confirmed.
Jazz Flute ???
Merrill77 - confirmed.
RonJ103 - confirmed.
GFernandez - confirmed.

Suggest we keep the group to six, if more are interested Jazz offers a great option later. First confirmed are in.

Important that safety comes first, everyone needs a mask please, here are two links, there are many other sources available.
http://tip.frikafrax.com/2011/01-3217/proper-respirator-for-spraying-solvent-based-paint.html

http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=MMM+7193

Willem

Last edited:

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
That day works for me! Count me in please.

I have a CA Technologies HVLP gun that I will bring.

Gonzalo

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I'd be interested in this or a future class, I bought a used earlex and it's sitting in a box. I got to the finishing stages and decided to just brush it on rather than have to deal with setting it up and then cleanup :embaresse

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
William, this is awesome! I can't thank you enough for volunteering to lead this. Is there anything I can do to help?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that practicing on paper was a good way to get started. I think it mentioned that it's really easy to see your spray patterns and how consistent the coverage is. I could pick up a large roll of paper or large sheets if you think that would be useful. Now that I think about it, I may have a box of moving paper in my attic - I think they are newspaper sized and I probably have a lot, if I can find it.

I better start reviewing the threads on recommendations for a spray gun. I'd love to learn the ropes on a gun that is setup correctly, and then try getting my own working as well. I have a fairly large project coming soon that would really benefit from the speed of spraying :>

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
William, this is awesome! I can't thank you enough for volunteering to lead this. Is there anything I can do to help?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that practicing on paper was a good way to get started. I think it mentioned that it's really easy to see your spray patterns and how consistent the coverage is. I could pick up a large roll of paper or large sheets if you think that would be useful. Now that I think about it, I may have a box of moving paper in my attic - I think they are newspaper sized and I probably have a lot, if I can find it.

I better start reviewing the threads on recommendations for a spray gun. I'd love to learn the ropes on a gun that is setup correctly, and then try getting my own working as well. I have a fairly large project coming soon that would really benefit from the speed of spraying :>

Great, bring the paper, it would work good for practice. My scrap bin is full of wood scraps, so once we have practiced on the paper we can spray wood. Suggest you wait with the gun until the class is over. There are many options. I hated my HVLP gun at first, because it was a loooong learning curve changing from conventional to HVLP, but now I love it. If you have someone to show you, it makes things a lot easier.

I suggest we start around 10:00 AM, as I am about 1 1/2 + hours from Raleigh/Greensboro where most folks seem to come from. Will PM everyone address later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS