Spray Booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
I have been trying to get an acceptable finish, black high gloss, on an EC. I have been using a brush and I am quite frustrated. I need to set up a spray booth of some sort. Does anyone have a suggestion as what design to use as a starting point?

My workshop is my two car garage. I am running out of room but most everything is on wheels.

Frustrated in Durham

John

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
If I suck the air out of the booth/carton through a furnace filter, can I just blow the air back into the workshop or do I need to blow it outside. I am reluctant to do that because it is heated air.

John

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You are going to need to vent outside even if it is waterbased. The fumes are still there. For water based HVLP, you don't have to vent a lot and once you finish spraying you can turn it off.

I would not spray oil based inside.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Another option is to use plastic sheeting. Anchor it at the ceiling with a 1x2 and tack another 1x2 at the bottom for weight. One for each side, 4 total. They can be rolled up when not in use and strapped to the ceiling. Use spring clamps where the corners meet. Cut an opening on one side at the floor level for a box fan/filter and attach with tape. You can also cut an opening in the oposite side for another filter for the return air.

If using water based, I frequently spray with the garage closed up then open the door and air things out. If you are spraying anything flamable, you need to make sure that you are not setting up an explosive situation by venting appropriately. It is safer to set up a positive pressure booth (blowing fresh air in which pushes bad air out). That way you are not pulling flamable vapors across an electric motor.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Please look at the coating container before assuming "water-based" is not flammable. Many water-based coatings are thinned with alcohol, which can be flammable as well as toxic. Altho the coating can be further reduced with water, the alcohol-based solvent is more stable for storage in prepackaged coatings, and is less viscous than water. They are more environmentally friendly, and less toxic in a long term view, but can be both toxic and flammable when atomized.

Just some info.

Go

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Good advice, I spray both water based and regular lacquer, as well as shellac. I am set up for a flamable spraying and always wear a respirator appropriate for the finish. Another item to consider - a dust mask is not a respirator.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS