Spray booth ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Regs say 100FPM so for a spray booth of 8' X 9' oversizing to 10,000 CFM should be good.

Any comments?

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
According to what I've read, the "rule of thumb" is 4 air volume exchanges per minute. So assuming a 10' ceiling height, you have 720 cubic feet in the room, times 4 = 2880 cfm. I would keep the air velocity within the booth down to around 100 lfpm, so your filter makeup inlet would need to be about 30 square feet (or 5' x 6')

Intuitively, 10,000 seems like way too much. Too high an air velocity in the room is likely to cause headaches with distorting spray patterns etc.

My 0.02 worth, take with a large grain of salt!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Regs say 100FPM so for a spray booth of 8' X 9' oversizing to 10,000 CFM should be good.

Whose code regs, OSHA, EPA?

Good gosh, an 8 x 9 spray booth sounds massive. How much spray finishing on really large furniture pieces do you expect to be doing? You use a lot of lacquer too as I recall. I found this tidbit by Bob Flexure that may be useful. These strip curtains might work too.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/spray-booth-for-a-small-shop

https://www.curtain-and-divider.com/pvc-strip-curtains/strip-curtain-kits/

Last edited:

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Whose code regs, OSHA, EPA?

Good gosh, an 8 x 9 spray booth sounds massive. How much spray finishing on really large furniture pieces do you expect to be doing? You use a lot of lacquer too as I recall. I found this tidbit by Bob Flexure that may be useful. These strip curtains might work too.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/spray-booth-for-a-small-shop

https://www.curtain-and-divider.com/pvc-strip-curtains/strip-curtain-kits/

OSHA [FONT=&quot]29 CFR [/FONT][FONT=&quot] Table G-10 of 1910.94(c)(6)(i) specifies a face velocity spray booth entrance for the stuff I spray at 100 fpm

[/FONT]
Gearing up to do cabinets, 5 days for a medium size kitchen in say a 3000 sq ft. home.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
OSHA 29 CFR Table G-10 of 1910.94(c)(6)(i) specifies a face velocity spray booth entrance for the stuff I spray at 100 fpm

Gearing up to do cabinets, 5 days for a medium size kitchen in say a 3000 sq ft. home.

Gotcha. So the giant 8' x 9' spray booth will be disassembled after the kitchen cabinet finishing?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
They have rental spray booths that are essentially blowup tents that are setup outside - many auto shops use them as they are code compliant and much cheaper than modifying their bldg

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I know jazzflute (Kevin) had a professional spray booth setup in his shop that he picked up on the used market. If I recall correctly, he had a special exterior door in the back of the shop that he could install, the special door had a giant hole in it that could connect to the spray booth to exhaust outside.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Gotcha. So the giant 8' x 9' spray booth will be disassembled after the kitchen cabinet finishing?

Jeff, no I am doing a permanent spray booth. I did not put too much thought in this, but the shop has four 8 x 9 garage doors. I put one door in for the booth to be opened when I spray. The booth filter and fan will butt up to the door. The booth will be 9 wide 8 high.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
my 8x8 is 7500 cfm. That's a 2hp motor. The biggest issue you will have is make up air if you are in a climate controlled area. You will need to open up another rollup door to the equivalent of the size of the exhaust wall/spray booth

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ok. I'm usually curious and that's why I'm asking these pesky questions. I'm learning as we go along. Thanks for your patience.

Jeff, no I am doing a permanent spray booth. I did not put too much thought in this, but the shop has four 8 x 9 garage doors. I put one door in for the booth to be opened when I spray. The booth filter and fan will butt up to the door. The booth will be 9 wide 8 high.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
my 8x8 is 7500 cfm. That's a 2hp motor. The biggest issue you will have is make up air if you are in a climate controlled area. You will need to open up another rollup door to the equivalent of the size of the exhaust wall/spray booth

Yep, to take care of the make up air mid-summer or mid-winter if done correctly unfortunately becomes non-affordable for the smaller time guys like me. Don't know how I did it, but I managed to spray and cure a conversion varnish at 68F without a spray-booth in my old shop when it was close to -10F and had snow outside. Needless to say the wifey wanted to move out of the house for a few days. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS