Spray-able non grainraising primer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
Need a primer less volatile than lacquer that I can spray on bare wood and not raise the grain. Will be spaying plantation shutters I plan to make. Once the wood is primed i can use any number of water based finishes .The primer needs to be white and fast drying.Any suggestions?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
When I built plantation shutters for my last house I used a primer from Hood Finishing that I sprayed and then white tinted Resisthane. The louvers for the shutter were MDF so I had to sand after applying the primer but it sanded easily and fairly quickly. Both finishes dried in 2-3 hours. I painted the louvers and the rest of the shutters before assembly and then touched up after. Resisthane can also be applied with a brush.

I don't know of a finish you can apply to raw MDF that doesn't need sanded after the first coat. Usually I would also sand after applying primer to raw wood.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I think Zinnser's B-I-N comes in a spray can. It is a white, shellac based primer that dries fast and does not raise the grain. I buy it in quarts and spray it through my HVLP gun any time I have to paint a project. It can be topcoated w/ anything (water, oil, etc.)

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I agree with Bill, sounds like Zinnser's shellac is what you are looking for. Also, you are probably already planning to do this, but I would finish the shutters as much as practical before you assemble. They are a real pain to finish otherwise.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Use Zinser too. Bill how much do you thin it to use HVLP gun?

Strom

Strom
Senior User
I think Zinnser's B-I-N comes in a spray can. It is a white, shellac based primer that dries fast and does not raise the grain. I buy it in quarts and spray it through my HVLP gun any time I have to paint a project. It can be topcoated w/ anything (water, oil, etc.)

That is a great idea. I had thought of shellac but needed it white. I will definitely get a quart and try it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I made them out of 1/2 inch mdf. I had a router bit for it so 4 passes on the router table and I had a strip of louver stock. Then I cut them to length. I also made a few out of poplar and softwood for the center louver which was secured with screws instead of pivot pins to help keep the stiles straight. It was a pretty big job to make them for the whole house but I did it a few windows at a time. I doubt I will do it for this house but maybe after I get all the other projects done....

Strom

Strom
Senior User
I made them out of 1/2 inch mdf. I had a router bit for it so 4 passes on the router table and I had a strip of louver stock. Then I cut them to length. I also made a few out of poplar and softwood for the center louver which was secured with screws instead of pivot pins to help keep the stiles straight. It was a pretty big job to make them for the whole house but I did it a few windows at a time. I doubt I will do it for this house but maybe after I get all the other projects done....
I heard that! When I told Steve Wall what I was going to make he said just go ahead and shoot yourself now. He made a bunch of shutters for his house. I have a stash of clear soft maple I plan to use for louvers and frames. The MDF was intriguing to me and I wonder if it would work in my W&H molder? Was your router bit stock or ground for you?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I heard that! When I told Steve Wall what I was going to make he said just go ahead and shoot yourself now. He made a bunch of shutters for his house. I have a stash of clear soft maple I plan to use for louvers and frames. The MDF was intriguing to me and I wonder if it would work in my W&H molder? Was your router bit stock or ground for you?

I am wondering here?? Do these go outside of the house or inside? Maybe a photo if possible?

Dan

Strom

Strom
Senior User
I am wondering here?? Do these go outside of the house or inside? Maybe a photo if possible?

Dan
Dan,Right now I am gathering material and ideas for these shutters. They are movable louver interior shutters. Thanks maybe a photo or two later.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Strom
I was thinking inside when there was MDF in the discussion but just wasn't sure. The MDF sure takes paint well and it should hold up inside. When I have made adjustable slats in the past, I have used quarter sawn white pine. Nothing will out last the quality white pine and the quarter makes them much less inclined to bow after heavy sunlight and heat. I tried using yellow pine as I always have lots of it around. Not as good as the white pine by a stretch. In fairness to the yellow pine camp, some was not quartered and it bowed too much to go on with it.

I am going to put fixed louver doors outside my front doors this Spring. My house faces east/southeast and it gets hot. Too hot on the inside of the doors. I'm hoping the louvered doors absorb the heat and the circulating air will dissipate the heat. I hope.

As you can see, the dark green doors really absorb a bunch of heat. Nice in the Fall but murder in the summer. Just another project I guess.

My wife wanted the house to match the shop I built. She liked the color and that was it.

xx_209.JPG

Not much shade here.

xx_238.JPG

001d.JPG

Shop_lights_and_last_touch_209.jpg

Stair case backfired. Mama unhappy.

Redesign phase 2. I use the upper deck a bunch and stairs work better this way.
g13.JPG

Sorry to be so long on the reply. I'm waiting for glue to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS