Spoon carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
[FONT=&amp]I was thinking of trying my hand at spoon carving until I priced a spoon carving gouge. I'm thinking 60-80 bucks is a little bit too steep for me. Is there a way of carving by hand that doesn't require me to empty out my wallet to get started? My plan was to do most everything but the hollow part on my band saw then finish by hand. [/FONT]
dunno.gif

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Frosts Mora

#164-S; Full curve carving knife, sharp on one edge only, and tapered to a point. It only comes in one version, which is right handed for most people. The single sided blade allows you to use your thumb on the back of the blade. In stainless steel only, $29.99

https://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

They have gone up quite a bit since I last ordered. Popularity has its drawbacks...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think he has a flat $5.00 shipping fee or at least it used to be.

Quantity breaks start to come in around $500 if several want to do a group buy. I used to buy that much and sell or give away some. Can't afford to do that anymore.

There are other knives there, some are double sided. You can grind one side flat if you need to. I don't like double sided knives because i forget and start to push with my thumb. Doesn't take long to remember if the blade is sharp and you really want it super sharp.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would do one, but I don't follow the Follensby/Wood/et.al. greenwood techniques. So, many disagree with my methods.

I use a lathe, bandsaw, drill press, and anything else that will make my work easier. I'm not sitting on a log in the woods making beautiful shavings.

I just make spoons. My way.

And I don't force any certain spoon philosophy on any body.

If there is enough interest we can get some folks together.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I'll vouch for Mike and his methods. Did a one day workshop a while back and produced this.
Handle_view.jpg

Its a maple ladle. Wood from Mike's firewood pile as I recall.
Still my favorite I've done, kind of reminds me of a goose's head and neck.

When I got home of course I had to build this.
P1080445.JPG

you can do a lot with not much if you take the time to learn how.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got my spoon carving tools from Klingspor. Well, my wife got them there as Xmas presents. Tools for working wood also sells them as does Highland Hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS