Splinters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
When you guys decided to start this forum, I thought it was a great idea:eek:ccasion1 . But I didn't realize that I would be using it so soon. I work in a picture frame supply warehouse and deal with length moulding all day long. The saw operators had put a short back in a bin with the mitred end facing down. I was counting the mldg. when this thing fell out and hit my leg leaving a 3/4" splinter sticking out. It looked like and easy piece to remove until I realized that there was more in my leg. I was forced to go to Urgent care where they had to make an incision and remove the other half. :BangHead: All I could do was laugh when everybody was coming over to look at it:rotflm: I do have pictures but can,t figure out how to attach:BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ouch, I have had many a splinter, but none that have required medical intervention. I have had to do some razor blade digging myself, or just wait a few days for the infection to build up enough pressure that it almost shoots out 8-O 8-O
Dave:)

J

jeff...

A pocket knife works pretty good to dig out nasty spliters. I'm always kinda conserned about infection, since I got one on my leg that made my lyphnodes swell up, so I heat the blade up with my lighter. Someone once told me that works to kill any nasty stuff hanging around on the blade, yet I don't know if it's fact or fiction.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Woodcraft carries those as well and they are an awesome set of tweezers. I have 3 or 4 pairs between the house and the shop.

Eric, I am sure that was one painful splinter. Glad to hear it is out and over.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Jeff,

Using a lighter should kill anything on the blade. Just make sure you let it cool down before you start operating. :icon_thum

And quit smoking :slap: , that's more dangerous than any little splinters from fresh sawn lumber.

Oh, and if you're working in any animal pasture/farmland . . . keep your tetanus booster up to date. Those splinters could be dangerous if they're deep enough. :eusa_thin know what, keep it up to date no matter what.

Todd

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The tetanus booster is very important. My mother's brother died from walking in a pasture bare footed after stepping on a nail and not telling anyone. Had never had a tetanus shot and when his parents learned of it, it was too late.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Sorry about your uncle, Travis.

A puncture type wound from anything exposed to tetanus would be the most dangerous kind. Clostridium Tetani is anaerobic and forms spores that live a long time in the soil. A puncture wound provides an ideal habitat for them to grow, low oxygen, warm and moist. It isn't rust that is dangerous BTW, it's just that the rough surface can hold more spores. So a clean looking nail or a large splinter out in a pasture (or really anyplace there are spores . . . ie) in the dirt), can be deadly.

Symptoms can take weeks to develop and the infection is hard to treat once it does develop.

So if you get a puncture wound from something that's been outside and you can't clean it out really well . . . get it checked out.

The booster shot is recommended every 10 years, but if you come in with a dangerous puncture type wound we can't clean out well, and it's been more than 5 years since your last booster shot, we may even give you immune globulins. Like Travis said, keep up to date on this one!

Todd

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Splinter, I had a friend that was at a party in the woods got drunk and fell backwards on a sapling stump.He fell on his butt it came out the front right beside his groin.Spent a few months in the hospital."THATS GOTA HURT".8-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS