Spice box progress -- Complete

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've made good progress on the Pennsylvania Spice Box I've been making. The drawers were completed this week. These are faced with quarter sawn sycamore and should give a good contrast to the walnut once the finish is applied.
IMG_3098.JPG

The last couple of days were spent turning a small walnut knob for each drawer. I debated making some sort of template or jig to mass produce these, but in the end decide to turn them by "hand and eye". The first ones took about 25 minutes each, but I had this down to under 15 minutes by the time I made the tenth one. Each drawer will have a single knob that is centered.

Knob sequence.jpg

Knob size quarter.jpg

I'm applying Danish Oil to darken and give each knob a soft shine before applying shellac and then spray lacquer.
IMG_3112.JPG

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful work (as always)! I am very impressed with the drawer knobs... on previous projects I have had no difficulty making one knob, but matching the initial one is problematic.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
"Sigh" I have sooo much to learn.....I think your work is amazing Jim. I have not tried making drawers yet..still working on one dimensional pieces like charcuterie boards, chess boards, coasters, etc.. I have a fly tying box in my head that I will need to get out at some point..Drawer making is in my future. Thanks for inspiring and sharing!!!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Drawer making is in my future.
Drawer making is something that should be taught more (IMHO) with an emphasis on getting the right fit. I find this to be especially true when making small drawers. I tend to make mine fit tight to slightly oversize (< 1/64") and then plane and test until I get it sliding like I want.

Someday, I hope to find and take a class on the subject. For now, I'll keep learning through patience and practice. The fly tying box will be a great project to hone your drawer-making skills. Go for it!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Drawer making is something that should be taught more (IMHO) with an emphasis on getting the right fit. I find this to be especially true when making small drawers. I tend to make mine fit tight to slightly oversize (< 1/64") and then plane and test until I get it sliding like I want.

Someday, I hope to find and take a class on the subject. For now, I'll keep learning through patience and practice. The fly tying box will be a great project to hone your drawer-making skills. Go for it!
Jim, when you have such close tolerances do you ever experiences issues with humidity changes?

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Jim, the quartersawn Sycamore is beautiful. I know I am preaching to the choir, but spice boxes are a whole lot more work then they look like.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I've made good progress on the Pennsylvania Spice Box I've been making. The drawers were completed this week. These are faced with quarter sawn sycamore and should give a good contrast to the walnut once the finish is applied.
View attachment 205626

The last couple of days were spent turning a small walnut knob for each drawer. I debated making some sort of template or jig to mass produce these, but in the end decide to turn them by "hand and eye". The first ones took about 25 minutes each, but I had this down to under 15 minutes by the time I made the tenth one. Each drawer will have a single knob that is centered.

View attachment 205627

View attachment 205628

I'm applying Danish Oil to darken and give each knob a soft shine before applying shellac and then spray lacquer.
View attachment 205629
Very nice looking piece. Love the woods for the drawer fronts. Your "by eye" rtuned knobs look great and will really stand out on those fronts.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS