Spell check???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Is the site's spell check still available for newer users? I know I have the
spelling.gif
in the upper right corner of my reply text box. But it seems that it might be invisible to many :roll::roll:, or not functional :dontknow:
Also I was given a link a few years ago, I believe on this site, for a general spell checker for any web form that is really nice for sites that don't provide a spell checker, and could fill in if the NCWW spell checker is no longer available.

Either way I would like to get that information out. There has been several comments on spelling and the perceived lack of a spell checker.
A lot of our threads are being found by the search engine crawlers and it would be nice if we appeared to be a literate bunch :icon_thum:icon_thum I would hate to give any fodder to the dumb redneck mentality.

Dave:)

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
It always corrects me. Maybe that means I can't spell, maybe we need to tell folks what it means when their words are underlined in red.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hmm :eusa_thin I don't get the auto-check. I suspect that you have another program that is auto-checking your errors outside of the site's programing. I have to click on the
spelling.gif
to get spell check. The other app that I downloaded will give you auto-check, but I don't like it for highlighting words that I know are correct (but not in it's dictionary like y'all) All that red gets me uptight.

TracyP

Tracy
The only program that I could think that I have that would do it is office 2003, or maybe Vista does it on it's own. But wait, it does it at work on windows XP, and on my blackberry, with no extra software.:dontknow::dontknow:

BAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS Help!!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The only program that I could think that I have that would do it is office 2003, or maybe Vista does it on it's own. But wait, it does it at work on windows XP, and on my blackberry, with no extra software.:dontknow::dontknow:

BAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS Help!!

Interesting. I always thought it was a built-in feature of the site. I use Firefox, and that has spell check is built-in! If you misspell a word, it is underlined in red. So achkooally is flagged as incorrect (Fredspeak is not widely accepted). I do not have the
spelling.gif
icon in the editor!

But, I just tried it with Internet Explorer. Whadda ya know, the
spelling.gif
icon is there! And no auto spell check. After clicking
spelling.gif
, it prompted me to download ieSpell, which I did. That gave me the spellcheck option, but still no autocorrect.

M

McRabbet

IIRC, if a user does not have a spell checker,they will be prompted to download the Spell Checker from IESPELL.COM, which is a free Explorer browser add-in. I downloaded it and use it on most of my posts by clicking the
spelling.gif
icon. On this thread, it does not accept the 'IIRC".

Ron

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Well I thought as Bas did "built-in feature of the site". Well Bas you are underline in red! :rotflm: I run Vista Home, and have office 2007, I use go old Firefox!! :cool: As Bas siad I don't have the
spelling.gif
icon, so the auto check must be part of Firefox.. :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK I might be behind the times, but I still like the way IE functions, it's what I am use to (I don't do change well) But it would be great if we could come up with a way to inform users of the Spell Check options that are out there. The multiple browser option could make this difficult, but I would suspect that the folks having a spelling issue are using IE (slow with change too, and in general:roll:) and are not given the spell checker automatically.

TracyP

Tracy
I too use firefox at home and at work, and just checked the Blackberry browser and it has spell check built in.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
caution ---- THREAD HiJack!

Tracy, you regularly mention using your BB to view the site... because my 8310 (curve formerly carried by Suncom) is not fully functional on T-Mobile (five months now they still haven't figured out how to support my BB Browser - I will simply pitch an absolute fit when the New Curve (8900) launches in February), i have to use the Opera browser, which does a generally poor job of rendering NCWW, and does not have a built in spell checker.

How well does the BB Browser render NCWW? and what changes could be made to optimize the site for BB users?

TracyP

Tracy
Pete, check this site http://forums.pinstack.com/f61/ and see if device software version 4.5 is available for your phone. It does a near perfect job of rendering the site if you enable style sheets in the browser options. There are some people that complain about the software upgrade, but there always are. So far, it works flawlessly on my 8100 pearl.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Pete, check this site http://forums.pinstack.com/f61/ and see if device software version 4.5 is available for your phone. It does a near perfect job of rendering the site if you enable style sheets in the browser options. There are some people that complain about the software upgrade, but there always are. So far, it works flawlessly on my 8100 pearl.

yeah, I am currently running 4.5.0.81 on my phone, and I have had the BB browser working with the first version of 4.5 for the curve 8310, but then T-Mo came along :BangHead:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Hey I resemble that!

OK I might be behind the times, but I still like the way IE functions, it's what I am use to (I don't do change well) But it would be great if we could come up with a way to inform users of the Spell Check options that are out there. The multiple browser option could make this difficult, but I would suspect that the folks having a spelling issue are using IE (slow with change too, and in general:roll:) and are not given the spell checker automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS