SPAM BOT HIT US

FlyingRon

Ron
Some of you may have noticed postings and even Private Messages from a user named ncwoodworkerr. This was a spammer who managed to get around our basic tests. I'll be remedying that. All of his posts have been removed. Understand that despite his choice of user name, he had nothing to do with us.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
i marked his account as permanently banned. He had posted an address in Raleigh, but subsequent checks of his IP address showed a Ukraine origin.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I wonder if this is the same spammer who has been hitting the lumberjocks website?

FlyingRon

Ron
It's quite possible. This one seemed rather targetted at woodworking sites. In the past the things I've fended off have been more "generic" spam.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
We have also seen usernames

woodworkdfs sending spam messages to members. I recently noticed a new user today lurking and viewing individual member ids.

woodworkclsl - I have no proof they are doing anything wrong but they havent posted an intro or other posts and have just been viewing users.

FlyingRon

Ron
Yes, another one slipped through. PLEASE PEOPLE, just ignore these PMs (and the related forum notification). DO NOT REPORT EMAILS FROM NCWOODWORKER as spam to your ISP or others. When you do this you jeopardize us by having AMAZON shut us down.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Yes, another one slipped through. PLEASE PEOPLE, just ignore these PMs (and the related forum notification). DO NOT REPORT EMAILS FROM NCWOODWORKER as spam to your ISP or others. When you do this you jeopardize us by having AMAZON shut us down.
Should we make another public forum post and pin it so everyone knows we are actively working the problem, and that they shouldnt report to Amazon as its in the forum and not through their actual emails?

FlyingRon

Ron
I suspect the problem is people see it in the message that they have a new conversation in their inbox before they realize it came from NCWW. I don't know where the threshold is, but once AWS shuts down our email (this happened due to the large number of bounces when we sent out the "forums have changed" email), it's a real pain to get it turned back on (took me close to a week and they shutdown an unrelated site that I also manage...completely different AWS login).

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
i received an email on an email address not linked to NCWW from the first spammer account earlier this morning, not quite sure how they pulled that off.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So you basically impeached this Ukrainian for shady practices then hu? I got some weird emails, but I get them all the time. I don't even open emails if I don't know the sender, they go directly into dev/null. Heck I don't even open @FredP emails because he' s a shady character. Just kidding Fred.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Up until Sept 21 I have been checking every new user daily. I do a lookup on their IP address and if non US I have been deleting. Well on sept 21 I went on a trip and though I got back on the 30th I have not had time to start checking again. Consider this another appeal from a tired out Admin person looking for an IP address lookup. NON US IP address they must get sent for approval no matter what state or zip they enter.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just did a 100% review of new users this month. In addition to ncwoodworkerr there were eleven (11) more. Most from the Ukraine. All Banned now. They were:
- fara
- Pepper04dog
- tillockwatson
- woodworkcdf
- woodworkcls
- woodworkdfs
- woodworkfwf
- woodworklcdn
- woodworkpmq
- woodworktuml
- woodworkxcx

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thanks to all who are working so diligently to maintain a safe and functional site!

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I sold ncwoodworkerr an old #5 Bailey plane I had kicking around. Just got his check from Bank of Ukraine but it's too much money ($10,000?). He told me it was a mistake, he was sorry for screwing up, and that I could keep most of it and just send him $1000 back. Seems like a nice guy.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS