Spalted Pecan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Roughed turned this bowl a few weeks ago, the wood was very soft and punky. So I soaked it in a white glue solution I read about on Sawmill Creek. I changed it up a little. 1 gallon of white glue from Lowes, 2 gallons of water, mix well and stir every few days. Soaked the roughed out bowl for a week or so (or until I remembered it), pulled it out last weekend and let it dry a week. Finished turning and sanding last night. Still needs a few more coats of finish before polishing.

I was very impressed with soaking it in glue to harden it up, worked great. I have a large, spalted oak blank I soaked and need to see if it worked on it also.

Spalted-Pecan.jpg

Rob

New User
Rob
Dean, this bowl was roughed out to about 3/4" before soaking, and it looked like is soaked most of the way in, at least enough that I could get good clean cuts. I have a larger blank, not roughed out, that soaked for several weeks, I'll be turning it soon, I'll let you know how it goes.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice work,
I like "out of the box" solutions to make a great looking piece of wood useful for something other than firewood or compost.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Rob, nice bowl.. really like the shape and spalting.... Also interested in how the glue mixture penetrates a rough blank.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Wally Dickerman is the gentleman who upped this info on SMC. He's probably up there with Rude Osolnik when it comes to turning. Nice of Rob to test this out so I didn't have to :):notworthy:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
That's a beautiful bowl Rob. And thanks for sharing the glue soaking trick. As you know, I'm not a turner, but that may come in handy for something else down the road. :icon_thum

Bill

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I sure have enough of rotted,er ah spaulted wood that I can try this on,maybe I missed it,but do you have to do anything to it while it is soaking,or just let it set till you remember it being there :gar-Bi

Rob

New User
Rob
Every couple days or so I shook the barrel to make ensure the glue/water mixture wasn't separated.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Very nice bowl Rob!!

Wouldnt soaking the bowl in a water mixture change the moisture content of the wood? Did you have any warping or checking of the wood during the drying time?

Rob

New User
Rob
Very nice bowl Rob!!

Wouldnt soaking the bowl in a water mixture change the moisture content of the wood? Did you have any warping or checking of the wood during the drying time?

I let it dry over a week after removing it. No warping or checking what so ever. I think the glue stabilized it solid enough to stop that.

crokett

New User
David
Beautiful bowl and I will take note of the white glue method. I have a piece of spalted oak I have so far passed on because it is too soft. Might have to try soaking it in white glue.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Super looking piece of wood. Glad you were able to salvage it.
I got a chunk that I'll have to try that on.

gritz

New User
Robert
This concept follows the dishwashing liquid and denatured alcohol bowl blank speed drying methods in that the active agent in all of them is alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS