Spalted maple

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Is there a way to stop the spalting process on some maple? I've most likely have some spalted maple to mill from some logs. Does it just continue to degrade? Looking for some education. Thanks in advance.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I'm sure there's a definitive answer(s) somewhere, but in my experience: dry it out. I think a fungicide would also work. Both of which present problems for wood still in log form..

So get it milled and drying.

-Mark

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
What is that Doctor's name, she is supposed to be an expert on Spalted wood and wood rot - Dr. Spalting or something??? I think Steve Honeycutt (sp) tried or was successful getting her for a chat a few years ago???

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Dr. Spalting is Sara Robinson and here is her website.

How do you know that your maple wood is spalted if it's still in log form? The fungi need moisture to continue growing; drying the wood below 20% MC stops their growth.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dr. Spalting is Sara Robinson and here is her website.

How do you know that your maple wood is spalted if it's still in log form? The fungi need moisture to continue growing; drying the wood stops their growth.

Thanks Jeff - I guess all the brain cells haven't been damaged!

TBoomz

New User
Ron
is it possible to kill the fungi in a turned bowl, in microwave oven? And if yes, how long is sufficient?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Drying fungus will only make it dormant, if you want to kill it, bleach is the best

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dr Sara did a very informative chat session with us a few years back. She wrote a book on spalting which is excellent. I purchased a copy if anybody wants to learn more

Jeff

New User
Jeff
From what I've learned so far, I f you dry it out that kills the fungis

That is nearly correct. The fungus will not continue to spalt the wood with a moisture content below 15-20%. Technically it doesn't kill the fungus but makes it dormant. Dr. Sara discusses this in one of her videos at her site. You can also email her and she's very good about responding to questions.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
wasn't so much as asking if microwave used to dry out fungus...rather if sufficient to generate enuff heat within wood to kill fungi? Short of vacuuming wood, can't see how bleach could soak in deep enuff to affect fungi....unless thin walled.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS