Southern Cellarette

bbrown

Bill
User
Hey folks, I thought I'd share what I'm working on.

This is the second of 2 Southern cellarettes. These were used in the early 19th century for storing whiskey (and showing off to their diner guests). Hence the box which could hold up to 16 bottles (serious drinkers I guess :)

The central pinwheel design is borrowed from the cellarette at Andrew Jackson's "Hermitage" in Nashville, TN
These pieces are really just a box on stand of course, but a great way to add all kinds of inlay, veneer, stringing, banding, bellflowers, etc.
The white wood is holly.
The big molding was an idea I had in mind for some time and finally put to use: a 1 1/4 inch wide striped molding. Not sure that I have seen this done before, although I would assume it must have been somewhere. I used Maple and Wenge for that molding and it came out perhaps more muted than I wished after a boiled linseed oil first coat. But maybe with so much ostentation, that's not such a bad thing.
The rope bandings along the sides and top and the striped lid molding are holly and ebony. The designs on the top (inside and out) are my own line-and-berry designs. These were done on Kentucky furniture commonly, but tended to be simpler and did not have the berries.

I posted short videos of the BLO application on my Instagram..... William Francis Brown (@williamfrancisbrown) • Instagram photos and videos

--Bill
IMG_E2566.JPG
IMG_E2574.JPG
IMG_E2574.JPG

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is beautiful! Nice work, and thanks for sharing. I would like to see more on how you create the pinwheel.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I'm with Hank SUPER FINE WOODWORKING. There's some folks in SC that make what they call southern plantation furniture. They make these, but I've never seen that name cellarette before.

Pop

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful and intricate work! One of these days I am going to attempt some inlay work, something very simple.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS