source for wood

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I will soon run out of the cherry which had been waiting patiently in the barn for me to return wood working.

I use to buy in fairly large quantities but this will no longer be the case. I use to go the Steve Walls place and fill up truck and trailer. It was an all day trip.

I am in Lancaster, SC, sort of. Really just in the country. Does anyone know someone or business where I could buy small quantities of cherry and walnut?

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
GPS Hardwoods | 7744 Watkins Ford Rd., Kernersville, NC 27284​

Please feel free to call with any questions that you may have.
(352) 895-4170​

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You're only 46 miles from Charlotte, NC. Maybe others on this site can recommend suppliers in that area. West Penn Hardwoods is in Conover, NC. 82 miles from Lancaster.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Steve Wall used to sell 20 bf bundles through the mail. I got some hickory/pecan from him once and it came through just fine.

Roy G

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I haven't been there in awhile (year or more) but Wurth Group near the airport in Charlotte is mostly plywood but also has significant amounts of hardwood. They let you pick out the boards you want and they will sell you a part of a board if that is all you need. It clearly caters to guys who buy more than I do but they were very polite and easy to deal with the few times I've gone there. Prices weren't bad either.

My last couple purchases have come from McKittrick (sp?) in Camden. Their prices are low but they don't have a ton of variety. Again you pick the boards but you need to buy the whole board, I think. Wurth has a bunch of equipment and will even plane for you. McKittrick sells out of a warehouse behind the office and I don't remember any equipment. But they are great to deal with too. Very polite and easy going.

I would call both first to make sure they have what you need and to get the hours.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I haven't been there in awhile (year or more) but Wurth Group near the airport in Charlotte is mostly plywood but also has significant amounts of hardwood. They let you pick out the boards you want and they will sell you a part of a board if that is all you need. It clearly caters to guys who buy more than I do but they were very polite and easy to deal with the few times I've gone there. Prices weren't bad either.

My last couple purchases have come from McKittrick (sp?) in Camden. Their prices are low but they don't have a ton of variety. Again you pick the boards but you need to buy the whole board, I think. Wurth has a bunch of equipment and will even plane for you. McKittrick sells out of a warehouse behind the office and I don't remember any equipment. But they are great to deal with too. Very polite and easy going.

I would call both first to make sure they have what you need and to get the hours.
I talked with Mr. McKittrick about 15 minutes before I saw your post. We passed by his place on the way to Camden. This was 20 years ago. I had forgotten about them until my wife reminded me.
I can go to his place without going through a single stop light. Going up US 521 to Charlotte has become a nightmare.
You are correct. They are really wonderful folks and easy to deal with. You definitely need to call before going.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS