Source for sweet/red gum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Can anyone suggest a source for dried sweet/red gum near Raleigh? Given the number of these trees in my yard and the sweet gum balls I've stepped on bare foot in my life, I would have thought finding a local source would easier than it has been so far.

J

jeff...

Your just a little late - I used up about 200 BF of some nice 4/4 gum for piling on a shed roof. You'll need to hunt hard not may folks think it's worth messing with, it's treated more like a weed around here than furniture grade lumber. But I must admit it's some pretty stuff...

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Other than the twisting issues during drying, gum seems like an attractive option. I'd like to use indeginous/local wood when I can, and what better option than to use one with good woodworking properties and appearance that is considered, as you put it, a "weed."

Any suggestions on sawmills or harvesters that might come across it and be willing to help me?

J

jeff...

The sweet gum I had was pretty nice, very few if any knots and had a nice grain appearance. Gum, like just about any other tree can have great grain appearance or be bland - it just depends on what the tree decided it was going to do when it grows.

Here's a pic to wet you appetite.
http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/tom-sweetgum-stool.jpg

Granted, not every gum will look like that but personally I think sweet gum had just got a bad wrap, as being the weed of North Carolina.

Thanks

dozer

Mike
I have a freind in Zebulon that has a mill I can see if he has any sweet gum left. Not sure if it is fully dry or not though. Send me a pm and I will get you his info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS